This is Day 14 of the 14-Day Healthy Living Challenge where hundreds of participants around the world work together to improve on their diet and fitness in January 2015. The challenge is now over, but you can do the tasks in your own time. Visit the overview page for all tasks and posts.
Hi everyone!! 😀 It’s now Day 14 of our 14-Day Healthy Living Challenge! While this is the last task for the challenge, it’s NOT the last post for the challenge as I’ll be posting a round-up post tomorrow to gather feedback. So, don’t bid your goodbyes yet. Now, let’s hop on to today’s task!
Challenge Tasks to Date
- Announcement and signup page: Join 14-Day Healthy Living Challenge!
- Day 0: Create Your 14-Day Healthy Living Plan | Comments
- Day 1: Drink 8 Glasses of Water | Comments
- Day 2: Eat 5 Servings of Fruits & Vegetables | Comments
- Day 3: Create Your Calorie List | Comments
- Day 4: Calculate Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure | Comments
- Day 5: Create Your Ideal Meal Plan | Comments
- Day 6: Follow Your Ideal Meal Plan! | Comments
- Day 7: Review & Set Your Plan for Week 2! | Comments
- Day 8: Get a Great Workout! | Comments
- Day 9: Identify Your Healthy Living Pitfalls | Comments
- Day 10: Meditate | Comments
- Day 11: Identify Your Food Struggles | Comments
- Day 12: Practice Conscious Eating | Comments
- Day 13: Start Your Healthy Living Guidebook | Comments
My Day 13 in Pictures
Here’s a recap of my Day 13 in pictures:
For yesterday’s task on creating a healthy living guidebook, I’ve already started doing this since 2007 (or even earlier). Over the years, I’ve condensed my guidebook significantly as I’ve integrated majority of my ideal healthy living practices into my life (and mind) and hence didn’t need to track many of the things I used to. (For example, I tracked my calories daily in 2008 when I was working on losing weight, but today I’m at my ideal weight and I subconsciously know the calorie content of each food, so I don’t do it anymore.)
Yesterday, I refreshed my healthy living guidebook with areas I’m focusing on right now. It currently has
- My healthy living guidelines, or what I call “commandments” (including the ones I’ve been working on in the challenge, like removing fried/oily food, exercising regularly, eating a salad daily and every other day). These commandments are based on priority areas to me now as well as principles to help bust my past common healthy living pitfalls.
- My favorite list of fruits and vegetables of different colors of the color wheel
- My grocery list to replenish my supplies every Friday
- Healthy places to buy my meals from
- Nutritional information of foods that I’m currently eating weekly (We worked on this in Day 3’s task)
Here’s a topline screenshot of my guidebook (in Excel, my preferred format for all my guidebooks):
As this moment the simplicity of my guidebook is great in helping me to focus on key areas, and I plan to build on my guidebook as I embark on my new phase of healthier living. 😀
Reviewing my 14HLC goals, they are
- Exercise at least three times a week – My third exercise for this week will be later on Day 14!
- Cut out deep fried / oily food from my diet – Check!
- Eat salads more regularly, ideally once a day if I can – No salad today (Day 13) but that’s because I ended up sleeping earlier than usual. I was planning to have a salad as my last meal before I sleep. But it’s
Check out other participants’ amazing food logs and progress updates in Day 13’s comments section!
With that, let’s move to Day 14 and our last task, which is…
Day 14: Review & Your Best Health Ahead
So… this is it. 🙂 After two weeks of healthy living since the year started, we’ve now reached the end of our Healthy Living Challenge. As with all PE challenges, everything has to come to a close, and it’s time to gather what we’ve learned and synthesize them into meaningful steps for our journey ahead.
How have you done? Are you happy with what you have accomplished in the past two weeks of the challenge? Did you complete your tasks as planned with each day? If no, why not? What can you learn from your progress in the past two weeks?
Today’s task is for YOU to review YOUR progress, catch up on the challenge tasks so far, and create your healthy living plan moving ahead.
Step 1: Catch Up on the Challenge Tasks
Have you completed the tasks for Days 1–13? If not, catch up on them today!
- Day 1: Drink 8 Glasses of Water
- Day 2: Eat 5 Servings of Fruits & Vegetables
- Day 3: Create Your Calorie List
- Day 4: Calculate Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure
- Day 5: Create Your Ideal Meal Plan
- Day 6: Follow Your Ideal Meal Plan!
- Day 7: Review & Set Your Plan for Week 2!
- Day 8: Get a Great Workout!
- Day 9: Identify Your Healthy Living Pitfalls
- Day 10: Meditate
- Day 11: Identify Your Food Struggles
- Day 12: Practice Conscious Eating
- Day 13: Start Your Healthy Living Guidebook
Step 2: Review Your Challenge Performance
Think about the past two weeks since you started the challenge. Then, answer the following:
- On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your own performance in the areas of your (a) diet and (b) fitness? Why?
- What goals did you set for yourself for the challenge? How have you performed in them? Why?
- Were there any obstacles preventing you from sticking to your healthy living plan? If yes, what were they? How can you overcome them moving forward?
Step 3: Set Your Healthy Living Plan Moving Forward!
Now the challenge is coming to a close, it’s time to create your healthy living plan as you move ahead.
- What are your key goals for your health and fitness moving forward? Review your 14-Day Healthy Living Plan and add on/revise your tasks/goals as needed. If your goals are the same, stick with what you’ve written.
- What are your key action steps to ensure that you’ll 100% achieve these goals? Look back at what you’ve done/learned from the past two weeks, especially the answers you wrote for the tasks on Day 7 (Week 1 Review), Day 9 (Healthy Living Pitfalls), and Day 11 (Food Struggles). Identify the steps that will help you to achieve success in your healthy living plan in the long term. Then, start acting on them!
Next, Follow Your Plan for Day 14 (Take Pictures Too!)
What tasks have you set for Day 14 of your 14-Day Healthy Living Plan? Do them today!
Take pictures of your healthy meals — breakfast, lunch, dinner, and mid-day snacks if any — and share them in the comments section. 😀 After all, a picture tells a thousand words, and when you share photos of your healthy meals, it inspires others to eat healthily and gives them ideas on what healthy food they can have too!
Post your initial comment sharing your results for today’s challenge task, then add on throughout the day as you have your breakfast, lunch, dinner, and/or if you’re doing any workouts. Attach photos of your meals by clicking the image icon on the bottom left of every comment box. As you add on to your comment thread, be sure to click on the reply button directly below your original comment so that you reply to your own thread (as opposed to starting a new thread).
Share Your Results (and Photos!)
Share in the comments section!
- Your reflections for the challenge
- Your healthy living plan moving ahead
- Your progress with your healthy living plan today
- Pictures of your meals
- Pictures of your workout (if any)
Do check out the other participants’ comments too and share a word of encouragement or two. We’re all in this together, so let’s support each other as a group! 🙂
PS: Since I always post my day’s progress in the subsequent day’s recap, my progress for today (Day 14) will be posted in the comments section of today’s task (as I always do) and shared in tomorrow’s roundup. I’ll also be collating my thoughts for the entire challenge in tomorrow’s roundup as well.
After you’re done, proceed to Healthy Living Challenge Roundup: Reflection, Feedback, and Moving Forward!
If you've found this useful, join my free newsletter where you'll get articles like this delivered to your inbox every week, plus updates I don't post on the blog.