“The only limits in your life are those that you set yourself.”
Hi! I’m Celes (Celestine Chua). Welcome to Personal Excellence, my personal development blog where I share my best tips on improving mental health and personal growth. If you are passionate about achieving your highest potential and living your best life, this is THE place for you.
Back when I was a child, living in Singapore, I was always told to get good grades, get a good job, and earn lots of money. This was the message repeatedly ingrained in me by my teachers, by the media, and by society. As I was born in a poor, low-income family, I wanted to do my best and to do my family proud.
So I did just that. When I was 21, I had achieved a small smidgen of success, if you can even call it that. In university, I was consistently on the Dean’s List, a prestigious honor roll for top students, and would later graduate as the top student in Marketing in NUS Business School, one of the top business schools in Asia. Before my graduation, I secured a prestigious job at a Fortune 100 company, pit against an estimated thousand candidates in the region. It was a fantastic job with very talented, smart people, and the pay was fantastic (in those times).
Yet I was not happy. To me, I felt that there was more in life than just earning money, getting married and following some societal life script. After deep inner reflection, I realized that the highest path I can pursue is to raise the world’s consciousness and to help others grow. There is too much negativity, too much pain in this world, and the best thing I can do is to help raise people’s awareness, alleviate their pain, and help them discover the strength in themselves.
So in 2008, I quit my well-paying job to start Personal Excellence. Today,
- PE is one of the top self-help sites online with half a million pageviews a month. My readers come from all over the world, from the US, UK, Australia, Europe, Canada, India, to Singapore.
- We are a trusted authority with over 700 articles, podcasts, and videos on personal growth. My articles are regularly used by teachers as add-on resources for their teaching.
- I’ve been featured frequently in the media, sharing my personal development insights on channels such as CNN, Business Insider, CBS Business Network, Lifehacker, Bloomberg, Sun-Herald, The Sunday Age, and Channel News Asia.
My #1 goal is to help you achieve your highest potential and live your best life. Through my site, I hope to help you achieve your personal definition of success, from improving your productivity to letting go of toxic relationships to finding your inner happiness.
Thank you for being here. I look forward to connecting with you! 🙂
Lots of love,
Some Quick Facts About Me
- My life purpose is “To raise the world’s consciousness and unite the world as one. To achieve my highest potential and live my best life.” My values are Excellence, Love, Truth, Courage, and Authenticity.
- I’m 36 this year (2020) and I’m a happy mom to my baby daughter. I consume a vegan diet that’s whole-food plant-based, and believing in living a life that minimizes cruelty and suffering to others, including animals.
- I previously studied at NUS Business School, one of the top business schools in Asia, where I graduated as the top student in Marketing and worked at a Fortune 100 firm in brand management before quitting to start PE.
- Through my articles at PE, I share many personal stories about myself. Here are some to start with:
- How I Discovered My Life Purpose (series)
- My History Growing Up in a Household of Anger and How I Let Go of It (series)
- My Journey with Emotional Eating and How I Overcame it (series)
- Why I Used To Feel Inferior about My Looks and Why I No Longer Feel That Way
- How I Found My Place as a Female in This World (series)
- How I Found Peace in My Relationship with My Parents (series)
My Media Features
Here are some of my media features:
I’ve been profiled in Soul Sisters, a documentary about inspiring women in Singapore. Click below for a look into my daily life:
Get My Best Tips on Personal Growth
Through my material, many readers’ lives have changed for the better:
“Hi Celes, during 2012, I was going through hard times. During that time, I found your site. I went through almost all of your articles every day and it motivated me greatly. Today I have accomplished so much and I can’t believe myself. Even my critics are motivated by me! Very few people are reasons behind my success and you are one of them. Thank you. ” – Praveen
“Every day I can’t believe how far I have come, and it’s all thanks to you. I’ve landed an amazing career, doubled my income, and I get to spend all my time doing what I love. You’ve helped me become someone with purpose, and I am truly enjoying my journey of ‘personal excellence’!” – Kimberly
“I usually have a lot of contempt for self-help sites because they tend to have only a single good message that they keep repeating in different forms. But Personal Excellence is different. Every single concept that you covered has been covered so thoroughly that it gives complete satisfaction. Different readers can take away different messages, and you cater to them all! You seem to have the inhuman, almost computer-like ability of looking for a better solution to a problem even if you already have a good, working solution.” – Adwaith
“Celes, I came to know of you when I accidentally stumbled on your esteemed site ‘Personal Excellence’ on Google. I felt as if I’ve dug out a diamond in a jungle.” – Kevin
“Just wanted to say thank you for everything you’ve done so far with Personal Excellence. It has been a great inspiration and resource for me in my journey from (miserable) corporate employee to (blissfully happy) entrepreneur. Please keep up the good work!” – Rob
Ready to live your best life? 🙂 Subscribe to my free newsletter and get my articles sent to your inbox. Your email is safe with me and I do not send spam. I look forward to seeing you on the inside! 🙂