Affirmation Challenge Day 9 [Relationships]: ‘I’m in conscious relationships that elevate and support me.’
This is Day 9 of the 15-Day Affirmation Challenge where hundreds of participants around the world gather to practice positive affirmations for 15 days in July 2014. The challenge is now over, but you can do the tasks in your own time. Visit the overview page for all Affirmation Challenge tasks and posts.
Dear everyone, welcome to Day 9 of our 15-Day Affirmation Challenge! 😀
Here is the overview of all the posts for the challenge so far:
- Affirmation Challenge announcement and signup details: 15-Day Affirmation Challenge | Nearly 460 Participants!
- Affirmation Challenge Day 1 [New Beginning] | 75 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 2 [Self-Love] | 79 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 3 [Ability] | 84 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 4 [Setbacks] | 54 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 5 [Gratitude] | 59 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 6 [Self-Worth] | 65 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 7 [Opportunities] | 71 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Week 1 Review | 37 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 8 [Physical Looks] | 41 Comments
Even if you are just reading this now, you are still more than welcome to sign up and join us in today’s task, while working through week one’s tasks in parallel. Remember to share your results too — there are still participants working on Day 1’s task and sharing their results even today!
Now, let’s move to today’s task, which is on…
Day 9: [Relationships]
Today’s affirmation: “I’m in conscious relationships that elevate and support me.”
(While today’s task is on “relationships,” I use “relationships” as an encompassing term that refers to any connection in our life (including familial connections, friendships, professional connections, and romantic connections), as opposed to just romantic connections.)
What kind of relationships do you have today? Would you say your relationships are conscious and elevating you? Or would you say that your relationships hold you back and prevent you from being the best you can be?
The best way to know the answer is to evaluate your relationships by these two factors:
- Are you able to openly share AND discuss your goals, dreams, life purpose, and values with the people around you? Or do you feel that you have to dial yourself down and talk about mundane topics just to relate to each other?
- Do you feel that the people around you support you to becoming the best you can be? Or do you feel that they hold you back from being your real self?
If your answer for both points is the former, then congratulations — your relationships are supporting you in your life’s journey! If not, then suffice it to say, your relationships are probably holding you back.
I often talk about how important it is to surround us with the right people. In my article, You are the Average of the 5 People You Spend the Most Time With, I share the now-famous Jim-Rohn saying, “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” What the saying means is that you are, in a big way, the product of your relationships.
Say you often hang out with negative, critical people. In fact, the five people you interact with the most — your colleagues Jane and Jenny, your high-school friends Jack and Jill, and your dad — are often gossiping about other people, complaining about their problems, or sometimes even… putting down your ideas. How would you feel? Not only will you feel irritated, you will also gradually “absorb” their negativity and become negative yourself. You may not notice it, but slowly you’ll become jaded, skeptical, resistant to change, critical about others, and disinterested about your future. You essentially become a reflection of what you didn’t like about them in the first place.
Now, even if you are in such relationships today, it doesn’t mean that you’ll be stuck in such relationships forever. Take it from someone who used to be surrounded by largely negative people, and is now in conscious and relationships that elevate her. We may not be able to change how people think, but we can choose the people whom we foster relationships with, and subsequently create conscious, meaningful connections.
Today, your task is to identify the kind of relationships you want, and then to create action steps to make them happen!
Your Task Today
- Identify your ideal relationship. (Remember, here we are using “relationship” as a broad term to refer to any connection, as opposed to specifically romantic relationships.) What is the ideal relationship (be it friendship, family relationship, professional relationship, or romantic relationship) to you?
- Someone whom I can talk openly to, and who openly shares anything and everything with me
- Someone whom I can be myself around, without having to put up pretenses
- Someone whom I can share all my life goals and dreams with
- Someone whom I can discuss said life goals and dreams with, and even give me ideas on how they can be better!
- Someone who shares common life goals as me, such as X, Y, and Z
- Someone who supports me in everything I do
- Identify places where you can find such people. (With the exception of our family which we can’t change,) Where can you find the kind of people who matche what you mentioned in Step #1?
For example, say you have an interest in healthy eating and you want to be a chef. Places where you can find people to support you in your dreams can be say, healthy living meetup groups (via Meetup.com), healthy cooking courses (where you can find people who desire to learn about healthier cooking methods), chef culinary conferences, and even, cooking competitions!
Get more ideas on meeting new people: Cooped Up Indoors? Get a Life with These 7 Tips.
- Identify action steps! Based what you’ve written in Step #2, what do you need to do to start meeting such people? Identify specific action steps, and include deadlines where applicable!
- Say today’s affirmation. Close your eyes. Visualize yourself surrounded by a large group of people, all of whom you have conscious relationships with. Imagine yourself chatting, laughing, smiling, and spending time with these people, as you walk hand-in-hand with everyone, through the journey of life. Feel the warmth, happiness, and excitement in your heart. As you do, say the affirmation:
“I’m in conscious relationships that elevate and support me.”
(If you think it’s silly to say this out loud, you can say it silently in your heart.)
I encourage you to write down today’s affirmation so that you can always see it and commit it to your heart. Repeat it every day to yourself, for as many times and as long as needed, until it becomes part of your default thinking.
Affirmation Wallpaper: [Relationships]
Today’s affirmation wallpaper, for download:
- You are the Average of the 5 People You Spend the Most Time With
- Live a Better Life in 30 Days Program, Day 19: Create Your Success Network
Tips on how to meet new people:
- 10 Useful Tips To Make New Friends
- How Do I Meet Like-Minded People?
- Cooped Up Indoors? Get a Life with These 7 Tips
- How to Make Small Talk in 5 Easy Ways (Examples Included)
Tips on how to make meaningful connections:
- The Secret To Meaningful Social Relationships (How to Remove Social Anxiety)
- How to Have More Best Friends: My Heartfelt Guide
Share Your Results!
Share your results, check out other participants’ responses, and interact with each other in the comments section! Remember, this challenge is a community effort: by openly engaging in the discussion, not only will you help others, you’ll also help yourself.
If you think today’s affirmation has benefited you, do share it with your friends and family via Facebook, Twitter, G+, or email.
Once you’re done, proceed to Day 10 here: Affirmation Challenge, Day 10 [Love]