Today’s episode is one that you must listen if you have intentions to start your blog, online business, YouTube channel, or any online venture, be it now or in the future.
After seeing all the “make money online” and “start your online business” hype, I decided to create this to share some of the realities of running an online business that many of the “gurus” do not talk about today, or at best scantly touch on as they paint a fancy picture of the riches and freedom to be gained online.
This episode is longer than usual but that’s because it’s packed full of insider tips. In short, the online marketing / blogging / “start your online business” / “lifestyle design” circuit has become more like a Ponzi scheme, and I share many tips to put you on the right track. If you have no intentions of starting a blog / online business, this episode won’t be relevant to you. But if you know anyone who is planning to enter the online arena, please share this with them. You will save them many months of pain, time wasted, and running around in circles.
In this episode of The Personal Excellence Podcast, learn
- 5 harsh truths about blogging / starting your online business
- 6 tips for those of you who wish to start a blog / online business (or are already blogging)
- The saturation of the online space and what that means for you as a blogger / online business owner
- Why you should be skeptical about fancy claims about the online world, including supposed riches, quick traffic gains, and snazzy pictures of people seemingly earning good money
- The evolution of the web from 1990s to early 2000s, to mid-2000s and late 2000s, and to present stage 2010s
- The real nature and setup of many successful internet businesses today that you don’t see as a layman visitor
- The difference between “barriers to entry” and “barriers to success” online, and why you should be concerned with the latter
- The invisible “competitive edges” that online businesses today have (i.e. why it’s naive or unrealistic to expect quick results online)
- The reality and nature of the technical work that will come as a result of running an online business—and how starting a simple blog is totally different from running a full-fledged online business
- A list of the many technical tasks that I do at PE every month (but aren’t visible/obvious)
- The reality of online noise—negative comments and spam—and examples of the kind of noise I deal with (and examples of hate mail I receive, here and here)
- Underappreciation and the problem of being taken for granted as an online content creator
- Long-term vs. Short-term: my recommendation on the kind of mindset to adopt as you venture online
- My 3 tips for creating a solid plan for your online success
- Why you should be cautious about the online marketing / “make money online” / “start your online business” space, and my recommendations for free resources for blogging
- The importance of experimenting and doing lousy work vs. waiting
- Possible loneliness from running an online business and my tips for that
If you've found The Personal Excellence Podcast useful, I'd really appreciate it if you can leave an honest rating and review on iTunes. Your review makes a difference and will help spread the message of conscious living to the world. Thank you!
- Stop Looking For a Magic Bullet For Your Goals
- Can Everyone Be Successful in Starting Their Business?
- How To Discover Your Life Purpose (series)
- How To Overcome Perfectionism (series)
- Skills Development
- The Day I Quit My Job to Pursue My Passion: 6 Things to Do Before You Quit Your Job
- How To Pursue Your Passion (series)
- Free, high-quality blogging resources. Check out and immerse in the free stuff first; don’t jump into the paid stuff in this industry unless you’ve done your due research, as most of the paid stuff in this industry is junk and will not give you easy success/ riches unlike what they may claim:
(Image: Torsten Scholz)