This is Day 11 of the 15-Day Affirmation Challenge held in July 2014, where we practice positive affirmations for 15 days. The challenge is now over but you can do the tasks in your own time. Visit the overview page for all the challenge tasks.
Dear everyone, welcome to Day 11 of our 15-Day Affirmation Challenge! :D
Here is the overview of all the posts for the challenge so far:
- Affirmation Challenge announcement and signup details: 15-Day Affirmation Challenge | 460 Participants!
- Affirmation Challenge Day 1 [New Beginning] | 78 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 2 [Self-Love] | 79 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 3 [Ability] | 87 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 4 [Setbacks] | 55 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 5 [Gratitude] | 63 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 6 [Self-Worth] | 68 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 7 [Opportunities] | 78 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Week 1 Review | 38 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 8 [Physical Looks] | 61 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 9 [Relationships] | 26 Comments
- Affirmation Challenge Day 10 [Love] | 18 Comments
Now, let’s move to today’s task, which is on…
Day 11: [Career]
Today’s affirmation: “I’m doing what I love, and earning lots of money doing it.”
Work and money. These two areas of our life wheel are often intertwined. After all, for most of us, we work to earn money, and for more of us, we can’t earn money unless we work.
At least, that’s what we think.
I can understand this mentality, because it wasn’t too long ago when I was working in a day job, spending long hours daily doing work I didn’t love, and doing monthly salary budgeting just so I could save up enough money to “safely” to quit my job one day. Shortly after, I left my day job, and worked on turning my passion into a career. From first building awareness of my work, to building credibility about what I do, to getting my name out there, soon I was successfully earning a living from doing what I love.
And then subsequently, I decided that exchanging my time for money isn’t something I want to do forever, so I began to turn my business into a passive-income business. I identified ways in which I could deliver value to others passively, and then created those as passive-income streams. I identified the activities that were taking up my time, and worked on detaching myself from those activities, such as delegating and outsourcing, so that I wouldn’t be a cog in my business.
It took about four years after I quit my day job before I was able to declare myself as retired (at 28). Since then, I’ve pledged myself to a life doing only the things I want and I love, independent of monetary considerations. Sounds like a dream come true of course, but lest anyone tries to attribute this as the result of luck meeting opportunity and the like, I want to emphasize that it’s something that I worked hard every day over the period of four years to create for myself, out of nothing, where “no” visible opportunities existed, so that it could come true. And the thing is that it can happen for you too… if you want it to.
The process of successfully turning one’s passion into a career is by no means easy and requires many steps, one of which requires breaking many deeply embedded beliefs surrounding work, life, and money. It’s nothing short of me creating a six to eight module course just to adequately convey the lessons (and I do intend to create a Passion & Money course in the future).
Hence, my plan today isn’t to convince you that you can turn your passion into a (successful) career, as it’s way outside of the scope of this challenge. Rather, for today, I would like to get you thinking this question, What if it is possible for me to do what I love and earn money from it? and for those of you who are already doing so (congratulations!!!), the question to reflect on is, How can I earn lots of money doing so?
Now, let’s get started!
Your Task Today
- Identify your ideal career. If I am to ask you, What is your ideal career?, what would it be? Would you be running your business or working as part of a company? What would you be doing? Who would you be serving (since every career has a customer or target audience whom you are addressing)? How much would you be earning? (Remember, I said “ideal,” not “realistic”! :) Don’t give a realistic figure but your ideal one!!)
- Identify three things blocking you from pursuing your ideal career now. Every goal has obstacles, like we have learned in Day 4 on setbacks. As I mentioned in that day’s post, “the bigger your goals and dreams, the bigger your obstacles.” If your ideal career is a grandiose one, it likely has huge obstacles.
Well, what are three things blocking you from your ideal career now? List them. (If you only have one to two main obstacles blocking you in this goal, then you can just list these one to two obstacles!)
- Identify solutions for these obstacles. How can you break the obstacles you listed in Step #2? Identify clear action steps.
- Take action! Take action on the steps you have identified in Step #3! Include deadlines where applicable, and get working on them — starting today if possible!
- Say today’s affirmation:
“I’m doing what I love, and earning lots of money doing it.”
(If you think it’s silly to say this out loud, you can say it silently in your heart.)
I encourage you to write down today’s affirmation so that you can always see it and commit it to your heart. Repeat it every day to yourself, for as many times and as long as needed, until it becomes part of your default thinking.
Affirmation Wallpaper: [Career]
Today’s affirmation wallpaper, for download:
Download (right click and save): [1366×768] [1600×900] [1920×1080]
- Passion or Money? — My article where I share how I broke out of the common conundrum of choosing passion or money
- Successful Businesses Interview Series — My seven-part interview series where I interview successful entrepreneurs who share tips on how they created their successful businesses
Share Your Results!
Share your results, check out other participants’ responses, and interact with each other in the comments section! Remember, this challenge is a community effort: by openly engaging in the discussion, not only will you help others, you’ll also help yourself.
If you think today’s affirmation has benefited you, do share it with your friends and family.
Once you’re done, proceed to Day 12 here: Affirmation Challenge, Day 12 [Wealth]
(Images: Flower, Dandelions)