Current time: Nov 25, 2014 at, 9:21 am Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

» zingfairy's 21DHL Journal
zingfairy Offline
width=

Hi Genevere - I've also been deferring getting new clothes "until I lose weight" which means for the past few months I've been cycling through the same 4 dresses (the only ones that fit) every few days! Can't bear to buy anything in a larger size, so it has been good for my bank balance :D Are you finding this 21-day challenge has helped you towards getting those new clothes you'd like to wear?

I definitely am enjoying putting effort into my appearance (make-up and some minor jewellery). Especially if it gets a positive reaction from people around! (one of my work colleagues even said he liked my hair the other day! now if my husband would offer such compliments that would be ace! lol )

Hey Scorpionsage - thanks for your encouragement! Can't believe the challenge is almost over. Do you feel you are bedding in any habits from the healthy living?

I came up with 'zingfairy' as I love the word 'zing' as representative of joy and energy (which I would like to aspire to!) and 'fairy' as I had been searching for inspiring images on google (mostly of fairy princesses) and they tend to be spritely and magical :) Funnily enough in real life I have a friend called 'Sejal', even though it is quite an unusual name here in the UK :)

Hello Netta! Thanks for your super-positive message, you made me feel good reading it! So many of my friends recommend yoga as an excellent way of life for posture, breathing and relaxation so it's great that you're looking at taking it up! What's Virginia like in the summer? Is there much countryside around you? I love walking outdoors - I feel like we're doing what nature intended us to do! Hugs to you too! :)

:happy:
Day 18

Really quick update as it's nearly bedtime (and I should be off the computer half an hour ago - sorry I don't have time to post on other peoples' journals tonight!)

Had a long day at work, but it was great & I still felt energetic when I left at 8pm! I'm taking on leadership responsibilities in my team (for the first time in my working career - WELL overdue!) and I got to spend some time planning today. I love planning! (as borne out by my many to-do lists at home)

I've also done 2 days where I embed extra walking into my commute, so a tick there. I'm also still not snacking, yay :) And for the last 2 days, I've brought in home-made sandwiches to work. I realise I need 3 slices of bread not to feel hungry.

Floor exercises not really happening, so maybe that's the challenge for next time.

The breathing exercise reminds me of the warm-up exercises I have to do with my choir. So I should have no excuse for not managing it properly! :)

Good luck everyone!

(This post was last modified: Jan 19, 2012 at 7:25 am by zingfairy.)
Jan 19, 2012 at 7:17 am
Find all posts by this user
Scorpionsage Offline
width=

I feel like I'm in the beginning stages of acquiring a habit.
I think it'll take a few more days for my exercise, meditation and diet routine to sink in.
N wow! I haven't met another Sejal in real life yet...
Its a name that's only common in the western part of India ( a tiny state called Gujrat)
So a lot of Indians have trouble pronouncing it!!! (esp the ones frm the south. Its where I'm living right now)

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm
genevere Offline
width=

Hi Zingfairy. I've thought about getting clothing but I think it would be a waste to buy some now. I want to lose about 10kg (22lbs). I've already lost 3kg since 27 December. Yah! I'm going to go through old clothing and see if I have anything to tide me over.

You've made lot's of positive changes. Well done! :D
Jan 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm
zingfairy Offline
width=

Day 19

Forced myself to walk the extra distance home today, despite the cold and wanting to spend the time doing other things!

Packed lunch, but got a bit hungry during the day and ate 2 bananas as well. Oh well - could be worse!

Felt quite snackish during the day so will have to watch tomorrow carefully to ensure I don't lapse!

Genevere: wow, 3kg! You're doing so well! The food you're eating looks super-healthy so that makes sense :dance:

Scorpionsage: the Sejal that I know in person is Gujurati too :) Also, my husband's family is Gujurati so I guess it's a small world :) I can't understand a word they say when I visit there, though!! Tell me there's sunshine where you are living at the moment! That thought will cheer me up despite the rain and cold here! :D

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:41 am
genevere Offline
width=

Hello Zingfairy (I always smile whenever I see your name - it's so very positive!). Looks like you are doing really well. It's admirable that you got out and exercised even though it's cold outside (in my part of the world it's been warm to hot). Plus eating 2 bananas were a great substitute. XX
(This post was last modified: Jan 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm by genevere.)
Jan 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm
zingfairy Offline
width=

Genevere - thanks for your support! :) Out of interest, how did you derive your forum-name? It reminds me of 'Guinevere', from the legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table! :)

Day 20

Today's achievements:
- on commute back home, got off 2 stops early to walk the rest of the way
- managed to stand up straight (good posture) for quite a bit of that walk home
- turned down the offer of work food and sorted out my own (everyone else had free pizza and sticky toffee pudding at our team meeting, I had couscous with tomatoes n' stuff and a box of fruit: how virtuous did I feel!)
- didn't snack later despite watching people eating that pudding!
- rather than thinking "yummy!" at the sticky toffee pudding, reduced my cravings (even though I can't have it as a vegan anyway!) by noting the toffee topping as a sludgey texture, and the pudding itself as stodgy.

Plus, non-health-related, I've got some of the weekend's housework tasks out of the way this evening, as my brain wasn't feeling like brain-exercise.

I've started thinking about what I can do, going forward, (to quote that lovely management term) to ensure positive success. I really love the picture of the health journal that Celes posted on the Day 20 challenge! I am a sucker for clean stationery. Perhaps because it's like a clean start.

I really hope that the scales go down a little on the weekend weigh-in: I get to give myself a little treat (some jewellery) when I hit the next kg marker down!
Jan 21, 2012 at 6:59 am
genevere Offline
width=

Zingfairy......Genevere is my second name. It was meant to be Guinevere (my father came from Cornwall - near Tintagel) I think maybe my mother was suffering from post-partum dyslexia because she's a great at spelling! :D
Jan 21, 2012 at 7:36 am
Scorpionsage Offline
width=

(Jan 20, 2012 at 7:41 am)zingfairy Wrote:  Day 19

Scorpionsage: the Sejal that I know in person is Gujurati too :) Also, my husband's family is Gujurati so I guess it's a small world :) I can't understand a word they say when I visit there, though!! Tell me there's sunshine where you are living at the moment! That thought will cheer me up despite the rain and cold here! :D

Wow!! Very small world!!
I don't understand Gujrati either.. there are way too many languages in India to learn!
Oh n there is lots of sunshine here!!
here are pics... Bad photos though....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm
zingfairy Offline
width=

Sejal - lovely photos! How nice to have that sunshine on your doorstep! :) It's grey and raining here. And dark inside the flat, even though it's midday. I think I will have to turn the light on!

Genevere - awesome middle name! And nice to have a romantic one too :)

Well, here we go...

Day 21

Success! I've managed to drop to a kilogram boundary on the scales this morning, which means I get to treat myself to a little prezzie!

This means my BMI is now 24.1 (as opposed to the 25ish it was bordering at the start of new year) and I've lost between 1.5 and 2kg during the challenge. (Not sure what my exact start weight was, other than it being TOO HIGH!)

Woo!

When doing the small weekly shop in the supermarket, I wasn't even remotely tempted by the chocolate leading up to the checkout tills, even though it is brightly packaged with shiny paper! So I guess I've managed to wean myself off the idea of buying sweets when shopping :)

I'll be doing some reviewing during the weekend...

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm
genevere Offline
width=

Hello Zingfairy. Getting down to a BMI of 24.1 is fantastic. Well done! :D
Jan 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm
zingfairy Offline
width=

Thanks Genevere!! I'm really happy that I'm on track. At the beginning of the 21 DHL I didn't set myself any specific weight-loss targets as I only feel bad if I don't meet them. But am glad to have lost weight!! :)

Day 21 Challenge

On a scale of 1-10, give yourself an overall score on how you've done for the past 21-days. Why did you give that score?

7/10 although that feels a bit high compared to the goals I set myself. More than 6/10, anyway. I'm going to say 7 because I overcame and reversed the factor that was making me overweight (excess food at work) and because I did do a little exercise throughout the challenge.

What have you accomplished/achieved for yourself in the past 21 days in the challenge?

Well, not hating my body so much for being overweight is one!
Getting rid of some of my cravings is another good thing.

What are the biggest things you have learned about yourself and about living a healthier life in the past 21-days?

Just have to be single-minded about these things!! And also, time management and planning feeds into healthy eating!

I'll do a more detailed post about the next part of the challenge later! :)
Jan 21, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Netta Offline
width=

Hi Zingfairy,
It has taken me awhile to catch up in my own journal and I wanted to stop by to see how you are doing. It sounds like you have done wonderful. I agree being single minded about things has helped me overcome some of the task for this challenge. I have enjoyed doing yoga very much and I know I will continue to do this and learn more about it.
The area in Virgina I live in I suppose is mild in all the seasons compared to most. Summer is my favorite time of year. Our average high all summer is around 90 to 100 degrees. I live in a very small town called Parrott Mountain. It has it's name honest because I literally live in the mountains. The scenery here is gorgeous though, especially in fall when the leaves change colors and there are so many scenic walking/bicycling trails and in the town I live I go walking down the mountain pavement and we have a river on the lower part. The walking there is pretty much flat and a good workout!
I have been to several places and I had a friend come visit one year that was used to flat, straight highways and surroundings. The curvy roads really impressed him. :)
Best wishes to you in the future!!!
(Jan 19, 2012 at 7:17 am)zingfairy Wrote:  Hi Genevere - I've also been deferring getting new clothes "until I lose weight" which means for the past few months I've been cycling through the same 4 dresses (the only ones that fit) every few days! Can't bear to buy anything in a larger size, so it has been good for my bank balance :D Are you finding this 21-day challenge has helped you towards getting those new clothes you'd like to wear?

I definitely am enjoying putting effort into my appearance (make-up and some minor jewellery). Especially if it gets a positive reaction from people around! (one of my work colleagues even said he liked my hair the other day! now if my husband would offer such compliments that would be ace! lol )

Hey Scorpionsage - thanks for your encouragement! Can't believe the challenge is almost over. Do you feel you are bedding in any habits from the healthy living?

I came up with 'zingfairy' as I love the word 'zing' as representative of joy and energy (which I would like to aspire to!) and 'fairy' as I had been searching for inspiring images on google (mostly of fairy princesses) and they tend to be spritely and magical :) Funnily enough in real life I have a friend called 'Sejal', even though it is quite an unusual name here in the UK :)

Hello Netta! Thanks for your super-positive message, you made me feel good reading it! So many of my friends recommend yoga as an excellent way of life for posture, breathing and relaxation so it's great that you're looking at taking it up! What's Virginia like in the summer? Is there much countryside around you? I love walking outdoors - I feel like we're doing what nature intended us to do! Hugs to you too! :)

Day 18

Really quick update as it's nearly bedtime (and I should be off the computer half an hour ago - sorry I don't have time to post on other peoples' journals tonight!)

Had a long day at work, but it was great & I still felt energetic when I left at 8pm! I'm taking on leadership responsibilities in my team (for the first time in my working career - WELL overdue!) and I got to spend some time planning today. I love planning! (as borne out by my many to-do lists at home)

I've also done 2 days where I embed extra walking into my commute, so a tick there. I'm also still not snacking, yay :) And for the last 2 days, I've brought in home-made sandwiches to work. I realise I need 3 slices of bread not to feel hungry.

Floor exercises not really happening, so maybe that's the challenge for next time.

The breathing exercise reminds me of the warm-up exercises I have to do with my choir. So I should have no excuse for not managing it properly! :)

Good luck everyone!

I'm glad that my reply was positive. I didn't realize until I saw someone else post sunshine pictures (that are gorgeous) that I could attach a file to your journal. I added it to mine. 21 days and I'm still learning about these threads. :) So I wanted to show you a picture of where I live in southwest Va. in the summer. My leg is pointing to the mountains where I live and I am on the river in my small town enjoying the swimming and sun.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: Jan 22, 2012 at 7:04 am by Netta.)
Jan 22, 2012 at 6:33 am
genevere Offline
width=

Looks like you live in a beautiful part of the world. Is that native vegetation?
I live in South Australia. If we go swimming, we usually go to the beach. There is one main river in the state and it's an hours drive away. :D
Jan 22, 2012 at 8:21 am
Scorpionsage Offline
width=

Congratulations on completing your challenge!!
And it so good that you are not hating your body as much as you used to.
But trying loving it as well. Go ahead with your diet plan while your at it!
Lots of hugs will help :hug:
Good luck!

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:31 pm
Netta Offline
width=

(Jan 22, 2012 at 8:21 am)genevere Wrote:  Looks like you live in a beautiful part of the world. Is that native vegetation?
I live in South Australia. If we go swimming, we usually go to the beach. There is one main river in the state and it's an hours drive away. :D

Genevere,

Yes it is natural. It's called the New River and it's one of the oldest longest rivers in the U.S.A. The county I live in and the surrounding areas are called The New River Valley. We have a lake about 30 minutes away but it is a man made lake. The beaches are quite a drive for me. I live in lower Southwest Virginia almost bordering Tennessee, so even Virginia Beach further north is quite a drive. I would say around 5 hours. I would love to visit Australia one day if the opportunity every arose! Hope all is well!!!
Jan 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm