Current time: 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ozcaveman (Charles) Journal
ozcaveman Offline
width=
Making 2011 my Best Year Yet!

(01-18-2011 09:17 PM)lotusbleu Wrote:  On the other hand I do find your spreadsheet very clever. Where's the link to a softcopy of the template? I think Celes may have mentioned it somewhere in passing but I can't seem to find that post.

I haven't uploaded the spreadsheet yet but I will do so tomorrow evening
and publish the link, You will still need to research the calories but that shouldn't take too long.

Charles
01-18-2011 09:24 PM
Find all posts by this user
Ish Offline
width=
redefining myself

Quote:When I weight myself this evening I was 87.4 which is a lot less than 89.2 yesterday! obviously I shouldnt get too worried about daily variations. My weight is gradually going down.
Congratulations on the weight loss :)
I've had same experience with the scale several times in the past. There can be many reasons for daily fluctuations. Once a week is more reasonable.
01-19-2011 02:10 AM
ozcaveman Offline
width=

My calorie spreadsheet:

Here is a link to my spreadsheet. I uploaded it to http://www.filedropper.com. Just click this link to download the Excel spreadsheet.

Notes:

There are three worksheets:
- Template
- Calories
- Tuesday (an example)

The Calories sheet is a place to store the calories and fat amounts for various foods.

The Template sheet is copied each day to a new worksheet to use as your daily recording.

1. Enter your target water intake in cell I12
2. Adjust the formula in I12 to multiple the volume of your container you use for water. I use 500 ml bottles.
3. Enter your target calories in cell I40 and fat in I41

Start a new day by copying your template then name the cell with the
day or date.

As you eeat enter the name of the food, calories and fat in columns
A C and D. Notice the calories adjusting

As you drink water update the water area starting in column H4

As you drink coffee and tea enter the time in N4 or O4

Calculations are made down the bottom when you make changes.

Now I am going to record a screencast .....
01-19-2011 08:20 PM
ozcaveman Offline
width=

Meditation Instructions.

These are from the book Do you want to meditate by Eric Harrison from the Perth Meditation Centre

1. Spot Meditation

- Breathe deeply, sigh and pause. Wait for the next breath.
- Breathe deeply again, sigh and pause. Repeat seven times.
- Each sigh is usually deeper and softer than the one before.
- Rest in that stillness at the end of the breath.
- Seven sighs is quite enough.
- Now enjoy the naturla breathing as long as you like.

2. Spot-meditation (around 2 to 3 minutes)

- Ask "What am I seeing?" What is in front of your eyes. Sense the room with your peripheral vision. What are the most obvious visual features.

- Ask "What am I hearing?" - Explore the soundscape. Check out the sounds from all directions.

- Ask "What am I touching?" - Notice the points of contact: feet, buttocks, back, forearms, fingers. Feel the air on your skin.

- Ask What am I smelling or tasting (if appropriate)

- Slow down and go deeply into any sensory data. Move from one to another as you wish. Notice when you inadvertently slide back into thought. Notice how still and focused the mind mfeels when you return to sensing.
01-19-2011 09:21 PM
lotusbleu Offline
width=

(01-19-2011 08:20 PM)ozcaveman Wrote:  My calorie spreadsheet:

Here is a link to my spreadsheet. I uploaded it to http://www.filedropper.com. Just click this link to download the Excel spreadsheet.

~Cool~ I've downloaded the file! ;)

Thanks for sharing the template/spreadsheet.:happy:
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2011 01:02 AM by lotusbleu.)
01-20-2011 01:01 AM
Ish Offline
width=
redefining myself

hi Charles. I've just downloaded the file. ;)
Thanks a lot for sharing :dance: :dance:
01-20-2011 01:17 AM
Matt Offline
width=
handsome revolutionary

Hey, Charles. I didn't realize you had already posted what you learned from those meditation books. Observing individual senses is something I have read before but never put into practice. I'm sure it is a great way of becoming more present. What was your experience like while practicing it?
01-20-2011 01:54 AM
xina Offline
width=

(01-19-2011 08:20 PM)ozcaveman Wrote:  My calorie spreadsheet:

Notes:

There are three worksheets:
- Template
- Calories
- Tuesday (an example)

Start a new day by copying your template then name the cell with the
day or date.

Hi Charles, thanks so much for sharing the template worksheet!! I just downloaded it and it's awesome!! :happy:
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2011 03:37 AM by xina.)
01-20-2011 03:36 AM
ozcaveman Offline
width=

(01-20-2011 03:36 AM)xina Wrote:  Hi Charles, thanks so much for sharing the template worksheet!! I just downloaded it and it's awesome!! :happy:

Glad you like it Let me know if you need or information on how to use it.

Charles
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2011 03:48 AM by ozcaveman.)
01-20-2011 03:48 AM
ozcaveman Offline
width=

A Day without caffeine
Friday - 21st January

Went to bed last night at 10.30 and set the alarm for 6.00.

I woke up at 5.00, but thought it was too early to get up, so tried to get back to sleep. Decided to get up at 5.30 as I had a headache.

Someone on this forum wrote that a morning headache usually indicates dehydration, not caffeine withdrawal, so I filled my 500ml water bottle and drank it fairly quickly. I started to feel a lot better.

For breakfast, I made a smoothie! I used:

1 ripe banana
1 nectarine
1 passionfruit
watermelon
low fat milk

I also ate two slices of toast, and half a cup of water with a few pieces of fresh ginger. I got this idea from a Vietnamese/Australian colleague.

I filled up my water bottle again, walked to the station (20 minutes), then bought a lemon at the supermarket here at North Sydney.

When I got to the office I did a ritual cleansing of my coffee cup, scrubbing off any tannin stains and rinsed thoroughly with hot water.

I brought a cup of hot water back to my desk and added a thin slice of lemon. Now the water is extracting the essential oils from the lemon skin (rind). Sipping this drink is very satisfying and gives me a feeling of being in a spa, pampring my health.

So far, I feel alright with no blinding headaches or energy slumps.

Fortunately I have an easy day at the office as I am attending a training session for sales people but my job is videorecording the sessions (My company bought a HD Canon Legria camcorder so I can learn about videography now!) to make training sessions later.

More news later .....
01-21-2011 06:37 AM
Celes Offline
width=
Passionate Advocate of Life

That's great Charles!! Sounds like your caffeine-free day is going very well. Look forward to more updates :clap::clap:

"If you want to get something you have never gotten before, you have to do something you have never done before."
Personal Excellence - For people passionate about achieving excellence in life
01-21-2011 07:04 AM
ozcaveman Offline
width=

1.15pm.

I have been drinking a lot of water, and a peppermint tea (no caffeine) at morning tea but I didnt like it.

I now have a strong headache so I took 2 panadol tablets.
I have an afternoon of training to attend and I think it is going to be an ordeal.

When I have given up coffee before I know that once I get this headache, not even a coffee will make it go away. I just need to rest and wait for it to pass.

I went outside for some "fresh air" but there are so many people walking in the streets smoking or standing in front of buildings puffiing their way to bad health, lung cancer and an early death.
01-21-2011 11:16 AM
Matt Offline
width=
handsome revolutionary

I have a bit of a headache when I quit drinking caffeine as well. Withdrawal symptoms I guess.

Sometimes it bugs me when I see others smoking as well. I think that about half of my coworkers are smokers. The thing that always blows my mind is when I see health care professionals smoking outside of a hospital or clinic. These doctors and nurses puff on a cigarette during their lunch breaks then go right back inside to care for people who have been treating their bodies like crap for decades. It's crazy.
01-21-2011 11:31 AM
Glenn Offline
width=
avene.org

Charles & Matt, that's crazy! I had no idea skipping a few cups of coffee if you're a regular drinker would cause headaches. That's worrying. I remember getting headaches when I was a kid, but haven't had one in a very long time. Maybe 10 or 15 years minimum. I used to drink more Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks more often when I was a lot younger. I wonder if there was a connection there?

The smoking, yes, very annoying. Thankfully it's banned in most places these days. I haven't been out much in the past few years, but when I went to this flood benefit show at a club the other night, I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. Not because of the music, but the environment. Nobody smoking anymore! :dance: Years ago whenever I would go out anywhere to a club or pub, my clothes would absolutely stink due to the cigarette smoke stench.

Glenn Thomas - Sydney, Australia
Avene Website | Personal Website | Facebook Page | Twitter
01-21-2011 05:25 PM
Jade Offline
width=

Glenn said:
Quote:Charles & Matt, that's crazy! I had no idea skipping a few cups of coffee if you're a regular drinker would cause headaches.
I got a headache too - its cos we are addicts :) It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though - if it wasn't for the fact that I do actually really enjoy the taste of a good coffee and the social ambiance of a good coffee shop I would give up but mmm some of life's pleasures are too good to miss out on ;)

Well done Charles if you completed the day! - it was a tough one yesterday! and really tough for us adicts who have to work as well - work can be a very coffee orientated place :lol:
01-22-2011 03:04 AM
ozcaveman Offline
width=

Final report on the caffeine free day.

Yesterday i was in a meeting room sitting next to the West-facing wall, and operating a video camera to record various sales training sessions. I wasn't so interested in the topics but I had to pay attention :)

The afternoon was quite hot with the poor airconditioning, the hot afternoon sun, and the heat pumped out by the data projector. Around 2.30 I was feeling very nauseous and had to leave the room. I think I had a reaction to something I ate - maybe all that catered food - because I had to make a few bathroom visits.

I still hadn't had any caffeine, but I still had a strong headache but I had taken two Panadol tablets at lunchtime. All I wanted to do was lie down and rest. I ate some peppermint sweets and the sugar and mint "pepped" me up and felt I could cope better.

I managed to get through the rest of the day and got home after a refreshing 20 minute walk from the station. I just ate a light meal and still had a headache, so I decided to make one cup of coffee which I enjoyed very much! Around 9.30 I decided to lie down and read but I was soon asleep.

I woke up at 5am today and must have had at least 8 hours sleep.

I drank 500 ml water then make a plunger coffee and toast and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast reading "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

Conclusion

I enjoy my morning coffee and occasional coffees with friends at coffee shops. But I have already controlled my coffee (and tea) intake to a level of moderation and I am happy with that. 2 coffees a day maximum and 2 cups of tea, with no caffeine after 3 pm. This is an improvement over the beginning of the 21DHL challenge.

Now that I have established the 2.5 litre daily water intake, my urge for coffee has dropped anyway.

Caffeine in moderation!

(01-21-2011 05:25 PM)Glenn Wrote:  I had no idea skipping a few cups of coffee if you're a regular drinker would cause headaches.

Smoking ... Thankfully it's banned in most places these days.

Oh yes, the headaches are the first sign of caffeine withdrawal!

Fortunately I don't drink Coke or Pepsi but the only time I would ever drink it was if I was out and needed a "caffeine hit". Nowadays, I keep drinking water!

And because it is banned inside, the smokes congregate around the entrances to office buildings! The habit that annoys me is when people walk with a lit cigarette in their hand, so when I follow them I have to endure the smoke. Walking from my office to the station is quite an exercise in playing "avoid the smoker" ! That is whY i avoid the centre of North Sydney for my lunchtime walks and head up to Crows Nest or the library away from the crowds.

Apparently in some parts of Japanese cities it is an offence to smoke while walking. I like that idea! I imagine Singapore would have a law like that, and I would heartily endorese it.

Charles
(enjoying a relaxing smoke-free, restful Saturday morning!)
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2011 05:28 AM by ozcaveman.)
01-22-2011 05:22 AM
Andreea Offline
width=
nature & animals lover

Hi, Charles, I hope very much you`ll share your review with us in these last 3 hours of the challenge (I`ve been watching the world clock during all the day since I realized that the forums will be closed on 8 am and not 8 pm this Sunday, as I thought first).
Congratulations for your free caffeine day, I enjoyed a lot reading on your journal about it! :heart: I used to drink and enjoy coffee with my mom or best friend in the past and I still love it, but I decided to quit it 2 years ago when I discovered it made me problems with the calcium from my body. Moderation is definitely the key on drinking it and green tea as well without problems.

Thank you so, so, so much for the excel spreadsheet that you shared so kindly with us, I appreciate it a lot and I downloaded it - I`m sure it will help me a lot in following a healthy lifestyle.
Thank you a lot also for the indications that you offered and for the instructions about meditation from that book as well, I`ll save it in my life handbook because it sounds very helpful and beautiful - THANK YOU!
Many, many thanks also for your too kind words about my photo with 21DHL, I`m so glad you liked it and I appreciate a lot your support and opinion :hug:

I wish you all the very best and lots of success on all your projects and goals! :heart:
Best wishes and "see" you soon! :)
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2011 07:13 AM by Andreea.)
01-23-2011 07:09 AM