Today marks exactly 3 weeks since I broke my fast. I am doing a final update here and will continue to post on my general life goals in the other forum.
The past 6 weeks have been a rollar coaster! I have had days were I was so high and very low points. Fasting definately makes you think clearly and re-evaluate your whole life. I have made some major decisions in this short period of time- and although I am no where close to the life I wish to create for myself, I have made taken big leaps and I believe it my "journey" will be mcuh easier from this point on.
Benefits I have experienced
1. Bowel regularity- ever since I was little, I have had bowl irregularities. I wasn't constipated by medical definitions, but now that I think about it- going once every 2 days doesn't seem normal! Now I have two- three bowel movements a day. It feels nice to know that your food is getting digested and excreted quickly rather than sitting in your colon for days!
2. Bloating- Although I experienced alot of bloating when I broke my fast, I have none of that at all right now. Before my fast I would get bloated if I ate alot of broccoli (which is my all time favourite veggie!
) and legumes, but now I have no problems eating these!
3. I no longer overeat- once I get full, I stop. Fasting reset my eating habits. The maximum I have eaten since my fast was 1400 calories, but most days were ~1200 cals. I feel satisfied with that amount and have no cravings for anything else. I am still eating vegan and will continue to do so as long as I feel well just eating plant foods.
4. My relationship with food- rather than seeing bad foods and wishing I could eat them, I think about the harm it will do to my body, and how it is not worth it. Also, before I had a HUGE problem with throwing food out. If something was about to go rotten, I would eat it (even if I was already full) so it wouldnt go to waste. Now that I am treating my body better, I have no problem with chucking things out
5. Weight loss- I think I lost 15lbs during these 6 weeks (I would say half was water weight though). For any of you who are wondering why I didn’t lose 20+ lbs, I think the reason is because I have not been active at all. During the fast I remained at home all day mostly resting, while Celes for example did go out and was walking about, ext (she’s also taller) I still have ALOT of toning to do and some more weight to lose. My prediction is if I continue to eat this way and once I start my exercise routine in may which includes moderate exercise (ie fast walking, stairs) , I should be losing ~2 lbs minimum a month, so in 7 months I should be back to my old self!
6. Sleep- I sleep an average of only 5- 6 hours a day now effortlessly. I cannot sleep longer than that, even if I tried.
Things That Were not healed during the fast:
1. My skin- My skin actually got worse once I broke my fast. I even had breakouts on my chest which I didn’t even have during my teen years! I don’t have the answer to this. It could be a number of factors. Once being that I got new skincare products (all organic!) right during the fast, which might be causing my skin issue. Another reason might be bananas which I actually have cut out the past 3 days and see a slight improvement. Another could be stress because I am doing alot of thinking and life analyzing. If you wish to fast, don’t let this stop you- let me assure you that my skin issue is not common, most people have beautiful skin once they come out of their fast !
Tips for anybody wanting to fast
1. Tell somebody or join a forum- I was only able to complete this fast because I put myself at a position where I was being held accountable for my actions. Just don’t go telling everybody you see or you will be dragged off to counselling and being diagnosed as anorexic!
2. Make note that the POST FAST diet is wayyy more important than the actual fast itself. I had issues during the first 2 weeks after I broke my fast. I believe that was because I broke it way to fast- I was feeling really good after the first day and thought, I htink my body is ready for lentil soup now! When it clearly wasn’t just yet. My recommendation is to follow a strict diet of only fruit and veg for every day you have fasted.
3. Realize that the fast is not going to change your whole life! I have to admit, I went in thinking that once I finished these three weeks everything was going to be great, my whole life would be in place. Well that’s not the case. Fasting can definitely move you in the right direction but you have to continue to make positive choices following the fast to see an improvement in your life.
4. Keep a diary/journal while you are fasting! It is fun to go back and read what you went through and to serve as a motivational reminder whenever you are down or feeling like you can’t accomplish your goals.
5. Definitely do it during a period where you have a vacation/very light amount of work. I really couldn’t bring myself to do anything while fasting, except work on my life handbook, listen to music, watch movies (which became tiresome half way through the fast) and rest. During the lat few days I spent all my time just laying down in my bed, doing absolutely nothing.
Would I fast again? Yes- I absolutely would! In fact I am doing another one (10 days) in a few months which I will blog about too
Like I said before, I am doing another fast because I want to see if this second fast will improve my skin.
Thanks to everyone who was reading my experience!