Current time: Oct 31, 2014 at, 12:59 pm Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

» Jimi's 21DHL Journal
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

DAY 1

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Today is January 2 and my first day of the challenge after visiting family all day yesterday. Thus far I have drank 5 glasses of water (will drank 3 more before the day concludes) and had a breakfast bar and some green veggies.

In anticipation of this challenge my wife (Lee Jones) and I have eaten lighter meals than we normally would have. This has gotten us mentally prepared. :D

http://JimiJones.com/blog - Live A More Productive Life!
(This post was last modified: Jan 3, 2011 at 7:49 am by Jimi Jones.)
Jan 3, 2011 at 7:26 am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Gordie Offline
width=
Crazy for nuts!

Hey Jimi,
Awesome to track you down here. I know you're going to get through this challenge no probs. But if you're struggling in anyway and you need more than Lee, then hit me up for some encouragement and advice. :)

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:24 am
Find all posts by this user
Jadzia Offline
width=

I like how you did some mental prep to get ready for the challenge!

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:30 am
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

(Jan 3, 2011 at 10:30 am)Jadzia Wrote:  I like how you did some mental prep to get ready for the challenge!

Thanks, Jadzia. I thought it was important to get into the right mindset before taking the plunge. :dance:
Day 2

Breakfast: Smoothie with strawberries, blueberries and flaxseed
Lunch: 45g Fiber Bar containing 9g of fiber, 1 1/2 oz mini box of raisins.
Dinner: 4 chicken wings (small) and steamed cabbage.

6 cups of water, will have at least 2 more.

Calorie list: Using this comprehensive online calorie counter > http://www.calorie-counter.net/nutrition...n-food.htm

Celes may have to remove images of food from site completely. :sweat: Just kidding.

(This post was last modified: Jan 4, 2011 at 10:46 am by Jimi Jones.)
Jan 4, 2011 at 2:57 am
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

Day 3

So far, so good. ;)

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 2 glasses of water

Lunch: Soup and salad

Dinner: baked chicken and steamed cabbage.

I have to step up my exercise routine and will in the coming days.

Weighed in on day 1, will weigh in again on day 7.

I've been staying a little hungry, probably because I know I am eating less but I'm strong enough to not give in to any cravings.

Will pick up some fresh fruit tomorrow.:thumb:

Off now to check on a few other participants and wish them well. :clap:

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:21 am
Jadzia Offline
width=

(Jan 5, 2011 at 11:21 am)Jimi Jones Wrote:  Day 3

I've been staying a little hungry, probably because I know I am eating less but I'm strong enough to not give in to any cravings.

I've heard that eating lighter for three days makes your stomach physically shrink and your digestive system more effective at removing nutrients from your food. Not sure if there is truth behind it, but if so, you should be less hungry tomorrow as your body starts adjusting!

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:50 am
Gordie Offline
width=
Crazy for nuts!

You're doing good, Jimi.

Is two eggs enough for you? I have two boiled eggs and some mixed raw nuts. That seems to keep me energetic without cravings.

How do you plan to exercise? SO far I've pretty much just done walking. When you're as heavy as me walking can be a good workout.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:52 am
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

(Jan 5, 2011 at 11:52 am)Gordie Wrote:  You're doing good, Jimi.

Is two eggs enough for you? I have two boiled eggs and some mixed raw nuts. That seems to keep me energetic without cravings.

How do you plan to exercise? SO far I've pretty much just done walking. When you're as heavy as me walking can be a good workout.

Heck no, two eggs aren't enough. ;) But I've made a commitment and I'll adjust as the challenge moves forward.

We have an elliptical that I'm just getting started on and my mountain bike. Will also do some aerobic exercises. It will be a slow ramping up for me.

Jan 7, 2011 at 8:20 am
Jadzia Offline
width=

Hi, Jimi! I'm glad you are still positive and determined, like your profile picture says! I really like your article on goal-setting in your blog. Most people skip right past most of the concepts you mentioned when they give advice on goal setting, especially things like reviewing repeat goals (which makes a huge difference for me when I do it). Keep it up!

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:18 am
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

(Jan 7, 2011 at 11:18 am)Jadzia Wrote:  Hi, Jimi! I'm glad you are still positive and determined, like your profile picture says! I really like your article on goal-setting in your blog. Most people skip right past most of the concepts you mentioned when they give advice on goal setting, especially things like reviewing repeat goals (which makes a huge difference for me when I do it). Keep it up!

Thanks, Jadzia.

I'm glad you enjoyed the post. ;)

Yes, I am quite determined to make some new habits, although I will never be a health nut in the true sense of the term. But I can certainly do better.

Thanks for your comment.

How is your journey coming along?

I'll be by to visit after updating here.
(Jan 5, 2011 at 11:50 am)Jadzia Wrote:  I've heard that eating lighter for three days makes your stomach physically shrink and your digestive system more effective at removing nutrients from your food. Not sure if there is truth behind it, but if so, you should be less hungry tomorrow as your body starts adjusting!

Someone misspoke, I've been hungry as **** :happy: Perhaps another day or 2 will do it.
Day 4

Got up at 4:30am and had 2 glasses of water before heading into town.

Around 9:30am I had a green tea drink and a (gulp) Danish. Okay, I should not have has that, although it was quite skimpy with next to nothing on it.

Lunch: Chicken soup

Dinner: Cobb salad

Only consumed 6 glasses of water, fell a little short.

Snack later that night: 2 boxes of raisins = 1 ounce. They are those mini boxes that come in a bag.

Cup of cherry juice

Although days 4 and 5 (below) were interruptions to my routine, I maintained pretty good discipline. :dance:
Day 5

I was up and on the road by 5:30, quite a busy day ahead.

Breakfast: water only

Lunch: Fresh lettuce with yellow fin tuna (salad)

Dinner: Beef brisket (small portion), sweet potato baked, and squash.
This was about the fullest meal I've had since beginning the challenge.

Took some photos of the food I prepared, will post them soon.

Light case of the sniffles, which I don't at all need. :eek:
Day 6

Worked til nearly 2:00 am, back up at 6:30. Had an ebook project and landing page to finish. If anyone would like a free copy you can get it at
http://jimijones.com/networking/collaboration/ (No opt-in or anything).

Breakfast: Herbal tea and a breakfast fiber bar

Lunch: Turkey wrap

Dinner: fish, asparagus and 1/2 sweet potato

I grocery shopped the other day and purchased some nice veggies and fruit. May steam some broccoli later today.

I've had 9 glasses of water as of 10 pm

(This post was last modified: Jan 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm by Jimi Jones.)
Jan 8, 2011 at 3:58 am
tariq Offline
width=
tariqhaneef

Hey Jimi,

How are you doing with your challenge? I like your light meal concept/plan. Kudos!

Keep up good job yea! Cheers!
Jan 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

(Jan 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm)tariq Wrote:  Hey Jimi,

How are you doing with your challenge? I like your light meal concept/plan. Kudos!

Keep up good job yea! Cheers!

Hey Tariq.

I'm doing well, just back from a bad cold. Updating my journal to get current. Still going well with the light meals, somehow. :D

Thanks for the good wishes, all the best for you as well.

Jan 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

This will be a long post as I am just getting caught up after a few days out with a bad cold, followed by catching up on work.

Through it all, I have maintained my diet. Happy to be back in the mix.

By the way, this will extend far beyond the 21-day challenge for me. :dance:

So, on to the detail.

Day 7

Breakfast: Fiber bar, fruit juice and water.

Lunch: Minestrone soup and salad. Water and lemon tea.

Dinner: Beef medallion from lunch outing. Really did not eat much, feeling poorly.

Day 8

Sick, in bed with chills, etc. Lots of water, hot tea, etc. I retained my appetite. soup and turkey sandwich for lunch.

Dinner: Baked Chicken, greens

Ate a decent portion, went back to bed.

Day 9

This was a day of mainly liquids, lots of water and juice. Snacked on almonds and water.

Day 10

Breakfast and lunch were fruit smoothies. Baked chicken wings for dinner.
Worked late in office, first day back working on internet biz in a few days.

Day 11

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs
Lunch: skipped since I had the eggs around 10:30am
Dinner: Scallops, mixed veggie, brown rice

Day 12

Breakfast: Juice
Lunch: grilled chicken, mash potatoes, cole slaw (KFC treat for being good) :happy:
Dinner: Broiled salmon, greens, sauteed sweet potatoes

Consumed usual 7 to 9 glasses of water.

================================================================================​==========================================

Okay, up to date and back in the swing of things. Looking forward to weighing in in a couple of days. Will report progress here afterward in addition to a progress report on my blog. Overall I feel I've done fairly well thus far. Need to get the exercise routine going now.

So, until next update... stay productive! :thumb::clap:

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

Day 13

Breakfast: Tea and toast. Not much, but good enough today.

Lunch: Turkey wrap and tea (cold).

Dinner: Small and thin T-bone steak with steamed broccoli.

I have pretty much stopped monitoring water. I drink at least 8 or more glasses daily.

It's Friday Jan 14th, my treat today was the steak dinner. :)

(This post was last modified: Jan 15, 2011 at 10:44 am by Jimi Jones.)
Jan 15, 2011 at 6:49 am
lime_inthecoconut Offline
width=
Pursuit of happiness

How's the elliptical and mountain biking? Still at it? :)

By the way, did you skip eating meals on day 9?
Jan 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

(Jan 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm)lime_inthecoconut Wrote:  How's the elliptical and mountain biking? Still at it? :)

By the way, did you skip eating meals on day 9?

Hi, how are ya?

Yes, I ate very lightly on the 9th, consuming almonds and juices.

I need to get step it up on the elliptical. To be honest, I just have not made as much time for it as I should have. ;) I will change that soon however.
Day 13

Continuing to eat very lightly. My wife, who is also in this challenge (Lee Jones) and I have been supporting each other and making sure we eat properly and limit our intake.

I started this challenge at 230 pounds, not a bad weight for a guy 6' 2", but too much has settled in the mid section. :lol:
So I am due to weigh in on Monday or Tuesday (17th or 18th) and see how much I have progressed. I feel a little lighter on my feet but that could be wishful thinking. ;)

I think I mentioned in a previous post that drinking the proper amount of water daily has become a habit, so there is no need to actually count the glasses consumed any more.

Day 14

After a week of really sticking by the diet I decided that I wanted a little heavier meal today, so I had a steak and steamed broccoli. No potatoes or any of that, although quite tempting.

It's funny, once you begin to feel as though you've made some progress, you are more guarded against losing ground, really watching how much is consumed.

By the way, that steak was one of the thinest on market. :happy:

Day 15

Skipped breakfast this day altogether, mainly because I had gone in town and there was really nothing convenient and healthy nearby. This is where my old habit would have just grabbed a slice of pound cake and washed it down with one of those sugary juices. I knew I'd be heading home at mid-day so I thought I'd satisfy my taste for a tuna sandwich.

Lunch: Tuna on pita bread, water and one of those tiny boxes of raisins (1/2 oz).

Dinner: Attended a Pro Football Playoff party and watched my home team (Ravens) undergo a total collapse of a game they had well in hand. Bummer!

There was quite a selection of food there, as one might imagine but I did well. 2 ribs, small portion of potatoes salad, string beans and a couple of baked chicken wings. This was more than I had eaten in some time.

I also had my 3rd and 4th cold beer of the year. :dance: Hadn't had a cold one since New Years day, so I felt no an ounce of guilt about it.

Besides, tomorrow I start my detox treatment. :sweat:

Day 16

Following Yesterday's Playoff Party I knew I would be getting back to the light eating of the past couple of weeks. I thought this was detox day, but remembered we had a retirement function to attend, so detox will occur on Day 17.

Today I just had tea and juice, plus a small handful of almonds. Some breakfast, huh? :lol:

No lunch because of the upcoming catered affair at the banquet hall.

Dinner: There was a buffet and I could have easily set myself back to day one, but I was having none of that.

Had a slice of prime rib, small piece of salmon, about 3 little potato wedges, string beans and 1 piece of baked chicken. This is what was on my plate, but surprisingly, most of it remained when they removed it. :dance:

I picked over it a bit but really did not eat that much. Drank water all evening, no cocktails or beer.
Day 17

Detox day has arrived.

Consumed some natural concoction my wife mixed and we had already decided to fast all day, consuming only water and juice.

I was just fine until about 2:00 pm when I really got hungry and wanted something to eat. I stayed busy working on the computer (building a niche site) and just continued with the liquids.

All in all it was a good experience, as we both stayed true to the commitment.

Day 18

Yesterday was a day of fasting and it felt good to actually have done that and not caved in to any food cravings.

Today I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast and juice.
Now for the best news of all (drumroll)

I weighed in today and registered 222, a loss of 8 pounds :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: << Thought I'd bring in the chorus for that one. :happy:

Now I must admit, I've done hardly any exercise like I intend to do, so if I am to get to my target weight of 210, I'll have to step up my game.

I think I'll not weigh in again for at least a week and see if I remain the same or even find a pound or two of what I've lost. So far, so good!

By the way, this is NOT just a 21-day challenge for me, I'm using this to jump start a new habit, so this new way of eating healthier will continue.

I am really happy that I came across Celes and this very timely opportunity.

Will update Lunch and/or Dinner here later.

(This post was last modified: Jan 19, 2011 at 2:29 am by Jimi Jones.)
Jan 19, 2011 at 1:26 am
Jade Offline
width=

Quote:I weighed in today and registered 222, a loss of 8 pounds << Thought I'd bring in the chorus for that one.

I think I'll not weigh in again for at least a week and see if I remain the same or even find a pound or two of what I've lost. So far, so good!
Well done Jimi - I knew you would do well! :) I hope you dont refind any of the weight you lost but one thing I've learnt from this is not to live by the scales - water comes and goes in the body and scales have a mind of their own sometimes! Just keep doing what you know is right and your body will continue to change the way you want it to whether the scales want to play along or not ;)
Jan 19, 2011 at 5:21 am
Jimi Jones Offline
width=
Determined

(Jan 19, 2011 at 5:21 am)Jade Wrote:  
Quote:I weighed in today and registered 222, a loss of 8 pounds << Thought I'd bring in the chorus for that one.

Well done Jimi - I knew you would do well! :) I hope you dont refind any of the weight you lost but one thing I've learnt from this is not to live by the scales - water comes and goes in the body and scales have a mind of their own sometimes! Just keep doing what you know is right and your body will continue to change the way you want it to whether the scales want to play along or not ;)

Thanks for that, Jade.
I agree, it's easy to fall back to previous positions and even get discouraged. I agree about the scale and it's fickle readouts, which is why I use it sparingly. I don't want to get too hung up on the numbers, but rather, concentrate on the process of maintaining new habits.

Day 19

Had Juice for breakfast before heading in town.
Took a brisk walk while out today, tuning up for some more vigorous activity to jump start an exercise routine.

I had less water than I had been drinking today, lost count but think I had only 5 or 6 glasses. Will up the intake again tomorrow.

(This post was last modified: Jan 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm by Jimi Jones.)
Jan 21, 2011 at 12:28 pm