Current time: 07-26-2014, 05:34 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Genevere's 21DHL Journal
zingfairy Offline
width=

More amazing food!

Are you, or have you been, an artist in the past? I love symmetry and rainbow colours and so your food really catches my eye! I remember you saying your daughter has an art-project too (with the knitting/bike) - you sound like a creative family!

Enjoy your last day of this challenge! :)
01-21-2012 07:07 AM
Find all posts by this user
genevere Offline
width=

Hi Zingfairy. Glad you enjoy the photos. About your questions - I've never been an artist. Art was my best subject at school and I never took it further (I have a science degree but work in human services). I love colour and texture. I enjoy decorating and haven't indulged in that for ages - the whole house needs a repaint. My sister used to accuse me of wasting talent...but I've never felt that talented. I guess I have ability but with out the drive to create it just doesn't happen. My step-daughter is a talented artist. Even the way she dresses is arty (grungy, assymetrical and clashing colours but it works!).
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 07:53 AM by genevere.)
01-21-2012 07:51 AM
Success Offline
width=

Hi Genevere,

Looks like we both need another 21DTL.. 21 Days Talented Living..
Aren't we all pregnant with a little talent but we were always too chicken to let it be born? You would not believe the paper processor in my office: her little cubicle is a fairy tale of Christmas spirit during the holiday, walls plastered with collages of co-workers on sleighs, snowflakes hanging from the ceiling etc:, her home is a picture right from the decorating catalogue yet she keeps plodding away and pushing the paper pile from left to right, mastering being miserable but grateful for being employed..

what if?

what if all of us unleashed those little unborn, shameful talents one day? how would the world look like then? would it smile more? would it be more happy? or perhaps this question is too scary to answer for us? Your pictures are telling a story that your lips are afraid to release. I hope you will get to blogging for fun..

Success

(01-21-2012 07:51 AM)genevere Wrote:  Hi Zingfairy. Glad you enjoy the photos. About your questions - I've never been an artist. Art was my best subject at school and I never took it further (I have a science degree but work in human services). I love colour and texture. I enjoy decorating and haven't indulged in that for ages - the whole house needs a repaint. My sister used to accuse me of wasting talent...but I've never felt that talented. I guess I have ability but with out the drive to create it just doesn't happen. My step-daughter is a talented artist. Even the way she dresses is arty (grungy, assymetrical and clashing colours but it works!).
01-21-2012 09:14 AM
genevere Offline
width=

(01-21-2012 09:14 AM)Success Wrote:  Hi Genevere,

Aren't we all pregnant with a little talent but we were always too chicken to let it be born? You would not believe the paper processor in my office: her little cubicle is a fairy tale of Christmas spirit during the holiday, walls plastered with collages of co-workers on sleighs, snowflakes hanging from the ceiling etc:, her home is a picture right from the decorating catalogue yet she keeps plodding away and pushing the paper pile from left to right, mastering being miserable but grateful for being employed..

what if?

what if all of us unleashed those little unborn, shameful talents one day? how would the world look like then? would it smile more? would it be more happy? or perhaps this question is too scary to answer for us? Your pictures are telling a story that your lips are afraid to release. I hope you will get to blogging for fun..

Success

(01-21-2012 07:51 AM)genevere Wrote:  Hi Zingfairy. Glad you enjoy the photos. About your questions - I've never been an artist. Art was my best subject at school and I never took it further (I have a science degree but work in human services). I love colour and texture. I enjoy decorating and haven't indulged in that for ages - the whole house needs a repaint. My sister used to accuse me of wasting talent...but I've never felt that talented. I guess I have ability but with out the drive to create it just doesn't happen. My step-daughter is a talented artist. Even the way she dresses is arty (grungy, assymetrical and clashing colours but it works!).
Hi Success, what a marvellous idea! Have you considered pursuing wordsmithery as a hobby or career even? You have a definate flare for the creative. And I particularly appreciate your positive attitude and questioning nature it's a great combination. I wish you well in whatever creative path you choose to follow. You have the drive and capacity to succeed. :dance:

It's sad how we start as children full of wonder, with an eagerness to explore the world around us and then gradually or abruptly lose all or most of it. I'm always sad when I hear parents tell children to shut up or ignore them when they ask a question. :(

On a lighter note, thank's so much for your well wishes. I've got a ".com". I'm going to find a template that's suitable - could take some tweaking but I'm aiming to be ready to go tomorrow. :D
01-21-2012 12:36 PM
Success Offline
width=

Hi Genevere,

Thank you for your good wishes.. I may try poetry of some sort as this hides my ESL handicap effectively. There is a little coward within which is trembling with fear so some kind of a trick is in order to knock him out. Flat out. Kick him in his private parts.

Please let me know your web site addres so I can drop in for inspection unannounced to verify you are being a good girl that does not snack on any deforming, fatty stuff.. I will creep from behind just when you least expect it, watch your back at all times ;)

Best of luck in your endavours. Stay healthy, stay happy and let the Artist that hides within you bloom into a rainbow colored veggie bouquet.

Success

(01-21-2012 12:36 PM)genevere Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 09:14 AM)Success Wrote:  Hi Genevere,

what if?

Success

Hi Success, what a marvellous idea! Have you considered pursuing wordsmithery as a hobby or career even? You have a definate flare for the creative. And I particularly appreciate your positive attitude and questioning nature it's a great combination. I wish you well in whatever creative path you choose to follow. You have the drive and capacity to succeed. :dance:

It's sad how we start as children full of wonder, with an eagerness to explore the world around us and then gradually or abruptly lose all or most of it. I'm always sad when I hear parents tell children to shut up or ignore them when they ask a question. :(

On a lighter note, thank's so much for your well wishes. I've got a ".com". I'm going to find a template that's suitable - could take some tweaking but I'm aiming to be ready to go tomorrow. :D
01-21-2012 01:11 PM
genevere Offline
width=

Hi Success,

Poetry is a great idea. By the way, your ESL is not apparent. Plus it definately doesn't stop you from being creative. I'm now contemplating what you'd be able to achieve in your first language! The web address is genevere.com (there's an advantage to having an almost unique name).
:D
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 03:01 PM by genevere.)
01-21-2012 03:00 PM
zingfairy Offline
width=

Genevere - how exciting! I've never been disciplined to maintain a blog, but admire those who are.

And how lucky you are to get your middle name as the domain. Mine is Elizabeth, so no chance!! :D

Enjoy the rest of your day!!

:happy:
01-21-2012 09:43 PM
genevere Offline
width=

Zingfairy - that's provided I do have the discipline to keep it up. Not sure how I'll go, but I'm going to do my best. :D
01-21-2012 09:52 PM
genevere Offline
width=

Day 21

[Image: _IGP8943-Edit.jpg]
breakfast

[Image: _IGP8950-Edit.jpg]
dinner

1) Finish Up All 21-Day Tasks Before Continuing On

All tasks completed.

2) Reflect on the Past 21 Days

Score
9 out of 10.

Accomplishments / achievements
I managed to stick to most of my tasks. I'd thought that not having added sugar and less oil would be a problem but it was relatively easy. I also managed to have no chocolate and coffee which was even harder than the no added sugar and less oil. (Caffeine raises my blood pressure). I stuck with my calories each day (I allowed exercise expenditure to increase my calorie intake – up to 30 minutes of exercise per day). I have been charting my calorie intake every day. I increased exercising from nothing to exercising every day. My weight has decreased by 3.3 kilos (about 7 pounds) – I'm pleased about that. My blood pressure is down. My blood pressure has gone from - “you need to have a stronger dose of anti-hypertensives” to “your BP is too low, you need to have less anti-hypertensives”. Now I'm on a minimal dose and it's looking like I will be able to go off those soon. I went from rarely meditating to meditating every day. I've gone back to doing n-back everyday – when I used to do it regularly it helped with my memory and mental agility. Also, a few months ago I started a ruthless clean out discarding of items that we don't use. I've been doing a bit of this every weekend. I'm starting a stockpile of things in the spare room to offer to friends and family – if they don't want them, I will donate them. Giving away yarns to 3 people who knit (to say they “knit” is inadequate as they are all very creative and make amazing unique things from yarn). I've tried taking a photograph every day but soon forgotten to take a photo but so far I've remembered.

What are the biggest things I have learned about myself and about living a healthier life in the past 21-days?

Myself
I learnt how much I could thoroughly enjoy preparing food and photographing it. I'd bought a “.com” ages ago with the plan to start blogging. I had never found anything that would sustain blogging. I felt that whatever I posted would end up just being a lot of “blathering” on my part and be dull and uninteresting. I greatly appreciate the compliments and encouragement other 21DHL challenge participants have given me. It has been a magnificent gift that has provided me with the confidence to start blogging.

Living a healthier lifestyle
I learned that I can stick to a healthier lifestyle if I am focussed and I plan well.

Healthy Living Plan Ahead - Goals

diet
My current diet is high in fruit and vegetables. I've addressed added sugar and my oil intake is healthy. I've given up caffeine. I'm not interested in going to a completely raw vegan diet. I've been having about 50% raw ingredients. Therefore, I will not make any dietary goals. I will re-evaluate this later.

fitness
Continue daily exercise. Challenge myself with higher weights in weight training. I've started to do planks – working my way up to push ups. Increase the intensity of the aerobic exercise I'm doing – need to be careful of injuries / precautions but exercise and increasing muscle mass will assist in prevention. Best to take it gradually but not so gradually that I'm not improving. Do at least one 30 minute exercise session a week that focuses on flexibility and balance. Continue to challenge myself with balance tasks (such as putting my shoes on while standing on one leg).

lifestyle
Start a blog to mainly: promote a vegan diet, provide meals and recipes (I'll make these up), improve my photography skills and document at least my dietary goals and achievements. I'm undecided if I will or not include exercising. Currently I am leaning towards inclusion.

To increase productivity: improve my typing speed

Improve my meditation technique

Implement my action plan to complete home maintenance tasks. I've already arranged for 3 trades people to come next Friday.

How to apply to ensure that goals are achieved
I need to plan ahead. More especially, I must not procrastinate plus I must not leave projects unfinished. Put into positive language - “I will do.......and I will complete......”
01-22-2012 12:31 PM
Success Offline
width=

Hi Genevere,

You have done an amazing job here and in a great, colorful style.
It is incredible that you have accomplished so much in the area of weight loss, habit modification, lifestyle change in mere 21 days, with such dedication and discipline! That is very inspirational to us all.

Good luck in your blogging endavours. Let us visit one day. I will miss you.

xoxo
Success

(01-22-2012 12:31 PM)genevere Wrote:  Day 21

[Image: _IGP8943-Edit.jpg]
breakfast

[Image: _IGP8950-Edit.jpg]
dinner

1) Finish Up All 21-Day Tasks Before Continuing On

All tasks completed.

2) Reflect on the Past 21 Days

Score
9 out of 10.

Accomplishments / achievements
I managed to stick to most of my tasks. I'd thought that not having added sugar and less oil would be a problem but it was relatively easy. I also managed to have no chocolate and coffee which was even harder than the no added sugar and less oil. (Caffeine raises my blood pressure). I stuck with my calories each day (I allowed exercise expenditure to increase my calorie intake – up to 30 minutes of exercise per day). I have been charting my calorie intake every day. I increased exercising from nothing to exercising every day. My weight has decreased by 3.3 kilos (about 7 pounds) – I'm pleased about that. My blood pressure is down. My blood pressure has gone from - “you need to have a stronger dose of anti-hypertensives” to “your BP is too low, you need to have less anti-hypertensives”. Now I'm on a minimal dose and it's looking like I will be able to go off those soon. I went from rarely meditating to meditating every day. I've gone back to doing n-back everyday – when I used to do it regularly it helped with my memory and mental agility. Also, a few months ago I started a ruthless clean out discarding of items that we don't use. I've been doing a bit of this every weekend. I'm starting a stockpile of things in the spare room to offer to friends and family – if they don't want them, I will donate them. Giving away yarns to 3 people who knit (to say they “knit” is inadequate as they are all very creative and make amazing unique things from yarn). I've tried taking a photograph every day but soon forgotten to take a photo but so far I've remembered.

What are the biggest things I have learned about myself and about living a healthier life in the past 21-days?

Myself
I learnt how much I could thoroughly enjoy preparing food and photographing it. I'd bought a “.com” ages ago with the plan to start blogging. I had never found anything that would sustain blogging. I felt that whatever I posted would end up just being a lot of “blathering” on my part and be dull and uninteresting. I greatly appreciate the compliments and encouragement other 21DHL challenge participants have given me. It has been a magnificent gift that has provided me with the confidence to start blogging.

Living a healthier lifestyle
I learned that I can stick to a healthier lifestyle if I am focussed and I plan well.

Healthy Living Plan Ahead - Goals

diet
My current diet is high in fruit and vegetables. I've addressed added sugar and my oil intake is healthy. I've given up caffeine. I'm not interested in going to a completely raw vegan diet. I've been having about 50% raw ingredients. Therefore, I will not make any dietary goals. I will re-evaluate this later.

fitness
Continue daily exercise. Challenge myself with higher weights in weight training. I've started to do planks – working my way up to push ups. Increase the intensity of the aerobic exercise I'm doing – need to be careful of injuries / precautions but exercise and increasing muscle mass will assist in prevention. Best to take it gradually but not so gradually that I'm not improving. Do at least one 30 minute exercise session a week that focuses on flexibility and balance. Continue to challenge myself with balance tasks (such as putting my shoes on while standing on one leg).

lifestyle
Start a blog to mainly: promote a vegan diet, provide meals and recipes (I'll make these up), improve my photography skills and document at least my dietary goals and achievements. I'm undecided if I will or not include exercising. Currently I am leaning towards inclusion.

To increase productivity: improve my typing speed

Improve my meditation technique

Implement my action plan to complete home maintenance tasks. I've already arranged for 3 trades people to come next Friday.

How to apply to ensure that goals are achieved
I need to plan ahead. More especially, I must not procrastinate plus I must not leave projects unfinished. Put into positive language - “I will do.......and I will complete......”
01-22-2012 02:11 PM
Scorpionsage Offline
width=

Awesome!!!
I must say I'm gonna miss all those pics of yummy food!
You've done really great!
Good luck for your future!

01-22-2012 06:15 PM
genevere Offline
width=

(01-22-2012 06:15 PM)Scorpionsage Wrote:  Awesome!!!
I must say I'm gonna miss all those pics of yummy food!
You've done really great!
Good luck for your future!
Hey Sejal. Thanks heaps. All the best to you - you're doing fantastically well. :dance:

I'm going to keep on taking the pics. I'm organising a blog at genevere.com.
01-22-2012 07:12 PM
Scorpionsage Offline
width=

and i'm gonna be ur frequent visitor!
see u there!!!

01-22-2012 07:39 PM
genevere Offline
width=

(01-22-2012 07:39 PM)Scorpionsage Wrote:  and i'm gonna be ur frequent visitor!
see u there!!!

thanks! i'm hoping that it will be up and running in a few days. cheers.
01-22-2012 07:42 PM
nimiprem Offline
width=
living in gratitude

(01-22-2012 07:42 PM)genevere Wrote:  
(01-22-2012 07:39 PM)Scorpionsage Wrote:  and i'm gonna be ur frequent visitor!
see u there!!!

thanks! i'm hoping that it will be up and running in a few days. cheers.

Heyy genevere!!
I missed reading your blog and seeing the yummy pics for the past 2 days!! I fell sick and was on bed :( and sadly its already the end!
Thanks for all your encouragement and support!
I'd say that my love for salads really began after i saw your food photos! So thankyou! :hug:
01-23-2012 08:34 PM
genevere Offline
width=

Hey Nimi. Thank you so much! I will miss you to glomp
01-24-2012 04:22 AM
Success Offline
width=

Hello Genevere,

When I bumped into this blog half an hour ago I immediately thought of you and and your colorful photography.!

You will love this site full of gourmet vegan food and amazing food photography. Just discovered today and am already planning shopping list to make the Rainbow Roasted Veggie Salad and Guaca Mango Sandwich

When I look at the massive number of yummy meal combinations in a vegan diet inclusive of vegan deserts I think going totally vegan is quite possible.

Yours,
Success
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2012 01:26 PM by Success.)
01-25-2012 01:21 PM