Current time: 04-19-2014, 11:08 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fasting Sign Up!
hannah Offline
width=
Transforming my life
Star 
FINAL UPDATE: (may 11 2012)

Things keep getting in the way of my water fasting! I was planning on beginning again tomorrow but I just relieved my syllabus for this term and I have alot of readings I will be needing to be doing during this next week. SO unfortunately (Im so sorry!) I am going to have to reschedule it until a time when I know I am free. There is no point in fasting when you are stressed/ have other things o worry about. I know that some of you have shown interest in fasting in august, so I am DEFINATELY putting down my fasting date as Aug 13th or for June 17th (This is 100% final!) I am making a commitment to this and have set a time where I can do absolutely nothing so I can gain the maximum benefit. If any of you want to hop on aboard then you are welcome, I am making a list here of anybody who is interested! Figure out when you have some time off/little amount of work, and mark that date on your calender.:)

For those who don't want to do a water fast then you don't have to, there are other options:
1. monomeals (eating just one type of fruit for an extended period of time - ie monomeal of watermelon)
2. A raw food cleanse (similar to what Moira did)
3. Soup cleanse (See Ish's journal)
4. Anything that you feel comfortable with and you feel will make a positive impact in your life.

The point here is to support each other during these months so we can come out of it healthier than ever! There are many possible benefits to gain- clearer skin, weight loss, a better relationship with food, improved physiological functioning, ext.

Fasting Sign Up:
1. Hannah- Water fasting- June 17th or August 13th ( 7-15 days)
2. Moira- Water fasting- June/August (21 days)

“No matter where you are in life right now, no matter who you are, no matter how old you are – it is never too late to be who you are meant to be.” – Esther & Jerry Hicks
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2011 04:28 AM by hannah.)
04-27-2011 03:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Celes Offline
width=
Passionate Advocate of Life

HANNAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! *super hugs* OMG this is becoming like a fasting forum with all of us posting fasting logs here, LOL!

I'm so glad that you're starting your fast! (not because I'm addicted to fasting or that I think one should keep fasting because it's unhealthy, but because I know of all the healing benefits that fasting brings). I'll be behind you 110% for this fast, just as you've selflessly supported me in my 2nd fast.

The 15 day fast definitely bring you to your goal weight me thinks. I lost about 8lbs in my 7-day fast, of which I think 4lbs is water weight, so that's 4lbs right there. With a 15 day fast, a 10lb loss will definitely be reachable.

I look forward to your day 1 update! And I'll be here to support and cheer you on (as I'm sure the others in the forums will be checking in and posting as well!)

"If you want to get something you have never gotten before, you have to do something you have never done before."
Personal Excellence - For people passionate about achieving excellence in life
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2011 05:21 AM by Celes.)
04-27-2011 03:31 AM
hannah Offline
width=
Transforming my life

Aww Celes thank you for your encouragement (as always!) You are so sweet! glompglompglomp
(04-27-2011 03:31 AM)Celes Wrote:  HANNAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! *super hugs* OMG this is becoming like a fasting forum with all of us posting fasting logs here, LOL!
Haha I know, right! Sooner or later we are going to have a whole mob of people posting water fasting journals on here.
I don't think this fast will be as hard as the last one- the first 15 days of it were very bearable so I am predicting these 15 days will be too:)
I'm running home tomorrow and quickly cutting up all the veggies and storing them in the freezer haha. Dont want anything to go to waste!

“No matter where you are in life right now, no matter who you are, no matter how old you are – it is never too late to be who you are meant to be.” – Esther & Jerry Hicks
04-27-2011 05:16 AM
Moirawr Offline
width=
always changing

Hah! I love your plan to save your vegetables! All of the water fasting logs are making jealous that my life just won't feasibly allow one at this time. I really could use a complete detox that it would offer, but I guess I will just have to stick with my fruit and vegetable cleanse!

Good luck and we'll be rooting for you here. I think you are right that it sounds like a good time for a fast since you won't be able to do much activity anyhow!

Moira

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake." - F. Wikzek
04-27-2011 06:45 AM
Almo Offline
width=
high on O

Hey Hannah, I have a lot to learn from experience fasters like you and celes! You girls really make it look so easy.

I'll definitely be coming by to check your progress as I attempt my first ever water fast this week :)
RARRRRRRRR!!!!!
04-27-2011 06:53 AM
hannah Offline
width=
Transforming my life

Haha Almo, you're so cute:)
It's not that tough- believe me. If I can do it I can promise you that ANyONE can. you just have to have focus and a good reason why you want to fast.

Aww moira, don't worry! You have a lifetime of fasts you can do in the future. There is no need to rush:) and when you do decide to fast we will all be here supporting you!

Day 0 fast
Today I had
-1 pineapple
-2 mandarins
-3 stalks steamed broccoli
-1 romaine heart and 1 tomato for supper
-1 apple at night

Early tomorrow morning (6 AM) I will have my last meal of pineapple (so I can function during my exams!) and then my fast will begin :)
Im actually looking forwards to not eating for a while. I still have some food issues I would like to work on which I will be talking about later. Although I ate around 1200 cals daily after my last fast, I had some days where my old habits creeped up on me (such as eating when stressed) and as a result ate way more than my body's requirements. Also after this fast I plan to get my BMR measured so I know exaclty how much I need to eat and do some blood tests.
I am ready to be in the mental fasting state!

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2011 02:11 PM by hannah.)
04-27-2011 07:02 AM
Celes Offline
width=

Hey Hannah!! It's great that you did research on the anesthesia and decided on what's best for your body! I support you 100% in postponing your fast till after your surgery.

However, if you're going to do a 4-day water fast though, I do recommend not to do it at all and wait till June 17 actually. Because during fasting, the body burns fuel in this order glucose -> glycogen in liver -> glycogen in muscles -> fat (ketosis = fasting). Burning of glycogen in muscles typically happens in Days 3-4, and that's when a good chunk of muscles is burned before the body realizes it's not going to get food at all, and it switches to burning from fat instead to preserve the muscles. This is when the real benefits of fasting are manifested. Since you'll not be fasting beyond 4 days, you're kinda burning away precious muscle without getting the true benefits of fasting. That's actually a big waste! It's hard to build muscle, plus muscle has a high level of function and use in the body, so my personal take is to preserve as much of it as possible.

You can read more in my fasting article here: http://personalexcellence.co/blog/fasting/

Loren Lockman (the fasting expert I interviewed in Feb) expressed the same sentiments as well. Check the interview I posted on TPEB: http://personalexcellence.co/blog/fastin...n-answers/

Quote:Q5. Are there any benefits to a short-term fasting (1 day, or 3 days) or will it be a waste of time?

It takes the body between 3 and 4 days to get into the deepest part of a fast. Fasting for anything less than that provides only a surface level benefit, no real deep cleansing. Furthermore, each time we begin a fast, we go through a stage of the process where there is a larger percentage of muscle consumed (technically, converted to sugar through gluconeogenesis) to feed the body. Consuming muscle with no real deep benefit makes no sense to me, so I wouldn’t recommend shorter fasts, unless the body is calling for it. The french philosopher Voltaire said, “instead of medicine, fast for a day,” and if you wake up with acute symptoms, the smartest thing to do would be to call in sick, stay in bed, and rest as completely as possible consuming nothing but pure water. If you feel better in one or two days, you can get up and eat again, having completed a short fast because your body was calling for it.

I'll leave the final decision to you though. Let us know what you decide!

"If you want to get something you have never gotten before, you have to do something you have never done before."
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2011 10:43 PM by Celes.)
04-27-2011 10:39 PM
hannah Offline
width=
Transforming my life

Hi Celes- Thank you for your thoughtful reply!:hug:
I atcually agree with you and know about this muscle wasting too. I just felt like I had to do some sort of fast because everyone got hyped about it and I didn't want to let anyone down! I should have done my research before I got excited and posted this thread
. Sorry everyone!
But you can definately count on me doing a 15 day one starting june 17th.:dance: I am looking forwards to it! But on the other hand I get to go have some steamed broccoli now! mmmm! haha.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2011 09:23 AM by hannah.)
04-28-2011 03:51 AM
Celes Offline
width=

Hey Hannah!! :hug: Don't feel that way at all! You're not letting anyone down - all of us are responsible for our own emotions! And you can never let me/us down anyway - you're such an amazing person and so incredibly smart and mature. I'm really glad that you have decided to wait till June 17 for your 15-day fast! :hug::hug: For now we can just hop on to Almo's thread and cheer her on :dance: Didn't see her update for Day 1 yet - hope all's going well!

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2011 04:15 AM by Celes.)
04-28-2011 04:14 AM
Almo Offline
width=
high on O

Oh no!!! I'm on this alone now lol :P
But seriously, I think it's great you're postponing it as you have a serious surgery coming up. I had thoughts to postpone my fast last night when I started getting cold symptoms and mild period cramps, but it would be so lame if I did since I got all hyped up and made it passed day one already. And I feel okay today so I shall push on on my own!!! (we're in different time zones so I'm probably nearly one day ahead of you in the future :P)

After reading what Celes wrote, I'm really tempted to just go for the 21-day to really get into the benefits instead of doing a half-assed 7-days. But I don't want to faint/die in class next week so I will see how I go :(
I'd welcome the support in days ahead when I know I'll be craving for all the things I'm not suppose to eat!
04-28-2011 07:43 AM
Moirawr Offline
width=
always changing

It's good that you did your research! Good for you, for putting your body first!

Moira

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake." - F. Wikzek
04-28-2011 07:56 AM
Ish Offline
width=
redefining myself

Hannah Wrote:But you can definately count on me doing a 15 day one starting june 17th. I am looking forwards to it! But on the other hand I get to go have some steamed broccoli now! mmmm! haha.
Hey Hannah, I think you are right to postpone your fast until after the surgery.

Moirawr Wrote:Hah! I love your plan to save your vegetables! All of the water fasting logs are making jealous that my life just won't feasibly allow one at this time. I really could use a complete detox that it would offer, but I guess I will just have to stick with my fruit and vegetable cleanse!
I'm in same position :mrgreen: Until I feel confident enough to start a water fast, I'll be starting a fruit juice/soup fast as from friday (tomorrow)
04-29-2011 04:22 AM
hannah Offline
width=
Transforming my life

Hi guys!
So my water fast begins tomorrow. My plan concerning this fast/ my weight is:

1. Do this 10 day water fast
2. Break the fast eating small amounts (probably ~800 cals or so, never over my BMR) until my next water fast
3. complete another 7-14 day water fast at the end of june
4. break the fast eating low calories, then slowly get up to my BMR and remain there

My aim in doing this plan is that I want to get this excess weight off ASAP as it is really bugging me so I can start just eating normally again. I do not like taking things "slowly" haha, thats just not the way I usually do things. I am eager to at the point where I am stable in my food intakes. I dont want to use fasting as a means of weight loss in the future, just to cleanse a few times a year.
I am sure that if I follow this plan (which I will!) I will reach my desired results in max 6 months, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: remain there so I can focus on more important things in my life! ( there are much more important things to think about than weight!)

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2011 01:07 PM by hannah.)
05-09-2011 01:00 PM
Celes Offline
width=

Hey Hannah!! Thanks for journaling about this! Your fasting logs (and Almo's too) are becoming great resources for others who are interested to embark on fasting, whether for inner healing or otherwise.

I'd love to join you, though I've other things for the week which will be taking my focus away. Right now I'm sticking to a low calorie for the week, but my heart is right there with you!

What's your current weight now? Will you be tracking your weight fluctuations during the fast?

05-09-2011 08:44 PM
Kirsten Offline
width=
Success will find me

Just a quick note to wish you luck. Hannah, you are really determinded which is great.

Take it easy!

05-09-2011 09:37 PM
Moirawr Offline
width=
always changing

I would seriously love to join you as well, but I still cannot so I will be right here rooting you on!

Moira

05-09-2011 11:48 PM
Ish Offline
width=
redefining myself

Hi Hannah, just a quick note to encourage you with this fast! You really are an inspiration.:D
I am in training this whole week and might not be very present in the forums. But I'll try to drop in to follow your progress. Big hugs to you glomp glomp
05-10-2011 02:27 AM
hannah Offline
width=
Transforming my life

Awww thank you all for your encouragement, it may not seem like much but it really touches me that there are people rooting for me out there!
Moira and Celes- Don't fear, I am sure there will be a time when we can fast together :)

Quote: What's your current weight now? Will you be tracking your weight fluctuations during the fast?
Right now I am sitting at 118 lbs (Im 5'4.5) as of this morning. I actually am not planning to record my weight as I don't want to get into a weight obsession haha. I am sorry to anyone who is looking for this measurement, I hope you understand! I will probably weigh myself at the beginning of my third fast in june however, so I will keep you all posted.

Day 1
Today was a great day, no detox as of yet of course. I was a little hungry during the afternoon but it was not intense at all. I have a feeling that this fast will be much easier than the last. I spent my day studying and listening to music/ thinking. :)
Exercise: I still had a on of energy today, so I did 0.5 hour walking on tredmill at a moderate pace (speed 3.2)
I also developed a precise plan to target my weight issue. Obviously this is putting a toll on me and its affecting other areas of my life ( I know I shouldn’t be thinking about it, but for some reason I am), so I decided to sit down and devise a plan that will finally put an end to this issue. I don’t like counting calories because I don’t want these actions to develop into obsessive compulsive disorders, however I think that right now to succeed I am going to have to do this. I have already tried the “eat according to needs” method and I have to say that this method is great for maintaining weight, but definitely not losing! Since I have never had weight issues prior to this point, I think it is best to begin implementing a scientific, controlled method to get the results I am seeking. I am planning to follow it exactly every single day, no excuses. I am sure that once I have lost the weight and am at a point of several months of maintenance I will be able to eat just according to needs once again . If anyone is interested what the plan is I posted it on the initial post of my life journal here:
http://personalexcellence.co/forums/thre...-28th-2011

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 01:32 PM by hannah.)
05-10-2011 11:29 AM
stacey_dream Offline
width=
Passionate Achiever

Oh Hannah, I'm so excited about your fast, I'm not really into fasts, but I used to fast when I was about 15-17. Now I'm pretty much satisfied with my body and general condition of health, but I think it would be very useful to have a few days or a week of water fast. Could you give me some pointers on how to start my first water fast - concidering the fact that I've been eating like crazy for the last 12 days on my vacation. :)

"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso
Follow Stacey Dream on twitter!~~~Check out my INSPIRING WEBSITE
05-10-2011 08:09 PM
LynetteM Offline
width=

Hi Hannah,

I just want to encourage you to take care of yourself! Doing a 10-day fast so soon after completing a 21-day fast seems rather risky to me. Especially with all the exercise you've been doing, your body is likely still depleted and I just worry about you. I know you want quick weight-loss results, but it's so much better for your body to lose maybe a pound a week. Okay, enough "mothering" out of me. :) TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!
05-11-2011 12:42 AM