Current time: 04-25-2014, 12:52 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Britta's New Start
bfhpierce Offline
width=
Rainbow 
Hi everyone!

I'm Britta from Germany, 29 years old and this is my second round at 21DHL. The first time I didn't make it through, because my heart wasn't in it. :angry:

This time I'm planning to go the full distance. The most important issues to me are exercise on a regular basis and a healthier diet. Unfortunately I'm a little limited exercise-wise, because I hurt my knee two month ago. So running is off. I am going to give the ACE Kick Start Workout a try.

I wish everyone the best of luck for 2012 and 21DHL!
Pre-Work for 21DHL

Step 1: My vision

In my ideal world, I would be confident about myself. I would be able to love myself and my body. I’d weigh less (not much, just 2-3 kilos) and have a slender and fit body. I wouldn't need to force myself to exercise, because I'd love it and do it on a regular basis (every two days). I would have a good posture.

I’d eat healthy food only. I’ll be on a vegetarian diet and lovin it. I would be drinking 1.5 liters of water daily, as a minimum.

I’ll go to bed at 09:30pm and have 8.5 hours of good sleep each night.

Step 2: Goals to accomplish

Be self-confident.
My goal is to weigh 55 kilos and have a well proportioned body.
I want to have good posture.
I want to eat a vegetarian diet.
I want to drink 1.5 liters a day.
I want to exercise every two days.
I want to go to bed at 09:30pm and rise at 6am.

Step 3: Action Steps

-Exercise 45 minutes every second day.
-Do daily exercises to strengthen back, shoulders and neck.
-Turn off the computer at 09:15pm. Develop a go-to-bed routine. Rise with the first alarm.
-Eat a vegetarian diet. More fruit, more vegetables, less processed food, less sugar.

Step 4: The 3 to 5 things that will help me
- buy vegetarian food
- take the time to plan and prepare meals
- use the 21DHL forums to get inspired and stay motivated
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2011 08:31 PM by bfhpierce.)
12-30-2011 08:07 PM
Find all posts by this user
Bilal Kamoon Offline
width=
The Conscious Living Guy

Hi Britta, if you need any help, you have my support :hug:

Way to go buddy! :dance:

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Blog|Facebook|Twitter
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2011 10:54 PM by Bilal Kamoon.)
12-30-2011 10:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Thank you very much Bilal! I think 21DHL is going to be an interesting experience. Have you participated in 2011, too?
12-30-2011 11:45 PM
Bilal Kamoon Offline
width=
The Conscious Living Guy

Yes I did!! But I didn't participate actively back then... I just signed up and read the tasks without doing anything about them...

This time though, I'm very excited and committed to participating actively :D

Blog|Facebook|Twitter
12-31-2011 11:06 PM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

I feel the same way about the challenge this time!
01-01-2012 12:44 AM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Day 1 started a little late, exactly 3 hours late. :zzz::shy: Well, at least I did everything I could to rise early, but it was just too loud and too bright outside all night (:arrow: buy curtains!). Other than that I feel energetic and positive about the upcoming 21DHL challenge.

I already drank a large glass of water, healthy breakfast is next. I experimented with my breakfast the last couple of days, trying to consume only fruits and vegetables. But that doesn't satiate for long, I feel. After two hours I'm already hungry again. Are there special fruits and/or vegetables that satiate more than others?

Today's schedule also contains my first 45min kick start workout and some exercises to strengthen my back and neck.

Till later then!
01-01-2012 05:59 PM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Day 2

Woke up at 6:00am (YES!), had a little fight with myself about getting up or not :angry: , got up at 6:10am. I'm very happy about that and hope to form that as a habit fairly fast.

Already drank a glass of water, going to switch between water and herbal tea for the rest of the day.

Today's plan:
- drink at least 1.6liters of water and tea
- do exercises to strengthen back and shoulders
- eat five portions of fruit/vegetable
- stick to my vegetarian diet
- research opening hours and prizes for the local indoor swimming pool since I decided to go swimming for my cardio session for the Kick Start Workout.

Wish everyone a great second day!
01-02-2012 02:54 PM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Day 3

I think I'm going to write two progress reports daily, so I get a better feeling of what I achieved and what was postponed.

Yesterday I didn't manage to drink my 1.6 liters of waters, that seems to be a bigger issue than I thought it would be. I also skipped my exercises for back and shoulders, instead I did another ACE workout.
The vegetarian diet goes really well, same with the 5 portions of fruit/vegetable.
I had not much to do for yesterdays task, since I already had my calorie list from last year. I updated it a little and now I'm good to go :mrgreen:

Today I woke up at 6am again, had the same little fight with myself and got up ten minutes later. Yay.
Already did task number 3 and noticed marked my BMR and TDEE in my calorie list, so I always see the limit ;)

Todays plan:
- do exercises for back and shoulders (!)
- drink 1.6 liters of water or tea
- eat five pieces of fruit/vegetable
- stock up on bananas and pears

Have a nice day!
01-03-2012 02:54 PM
Bilal Kamoon Offline
width=
The Conscious Living Guy

(01-03-2012 02:54 PM)bfhpierce Wrote:  Yesterday I didn't manage to drink my 1.6 liters of waters, that seems to be a bigger issue than I thought it would be.
I think you could lower that number a bit since it's winter and since you're eating many fruits and vegetables.

(01-03-2012 02:54 PM)bfhpierce Wrote:  Already did task number 3 and noticed marked my BMR and TDEE in my calorie list, so I always see the limit ;)

Why don't you share your calorie list or TDEE?

Blog|Facebook|Twitter
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 11:31 PM by Bilal Kamoon.)
01-03-2012 11:22 PM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

I keep track of my calories in a google spreadsheet in german, since that is easier for me :D So it would be a double effort to translate and post in the forum. I can share the spreadsheet, but I don't think anyone would understand :lol: : Calorie List
01-04-2012 12:25 AM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Day 4

I'm very happy about how the 'getting up at 6am habit' is forming. It's still a small fight every morning, but I hope to get past that soon.

I couldn't post about my progresses yesterday evening as planned, since I was out with friends eating sushi. Vegetarian diet streak broken :cry2::shy: Funny enough, I don't feel too bad about that, I'm very confident that I get back on track.
Now I'm having problems finding information on the nutritional value of different sushi. :twisted:

When breaking with my vegetarian diet I realized I achieved nothing yesterday. :twisted: I really need to do my exercises for back and neck, otherwise I won't form this habit in 21 days.

So, todays plan contains:
- do exercises for back and neck
- do ACE workout
- (go swimming for cardio workout)
- stock up on bananas and pears
- try a new fruit/vegetable (I'm going to do that every week)
- drink 1.6 liters of water or tea
- evolve my ideal meal plan

I wish everyone a great day!
01-04-2012 03:12 PM
Bilal Kamoon Offline
width=
The Conscious Living Guy

(01-04-2012 03:12 PM)bfhpierce Wrote:  I couldn't post about my progresses yesterday evening as planned, since I was out with friends eating sushi. Vegetarian diet streak broken :cry2::shy: Funny enough, I don't feel too bad about that, I'm very confident that I get back on track.
Now I'm having problems finding information on the nutritional value of different sushi. :twisted:

When breaking with my vegetarian diet I realized I achieved nothing yesterday. :twisted: I really need to do my exercises for back and neck, otherwise I won't form this habit in 21 days.

Don't worry Britta, it's no big deal, everyone stumbles on the first few steps, as you said, it doesn't matter as long as you get back on track :D

Blog|Facebook|Twitter
01-05-2012 01:05 AM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Thank you for your support, Bilal. Today I ate 100% vegetarian food and felt good about it :D

Today's sporty plan fell flat, cause I hurt my back by lifting way to many books at once. Now I'm sitting on the couch with a hot-water bag and hope the pain is gone till tomorrow.

Luckily I could do almost everything else on todays plan before I hurt my back ;) So I stocked up on banana, mandarine and sugar snaps, which I'm snacking right now. I never ate them raw and find them to be very delicious. I also purchased white kidney beans and imitation bacon bits.
I also managed to drink my required 1.6 liters of water and evolved my ideal meal plan.
Ideal Meal Plan (1484kcal, 19.4g fat, 11,8% fat intake)

Breakfast (285 kcal, 5.2g fat)
almond whole-grain muesli with 1 banana and low fat milk

Second Breakfast (143 kcal, 0.7g fat)
carrot, kohlrabi, kiwi

Lunch (619 kcal, 5.1g fat)
pasta with vegetarian bolognese sauce from imitation bacon bits

Afternoon Snack (247 kcal, 0.9g fat)
fruit with plain yoghurt
2 pieces of spelt cake

Dinner (190 kcal, 7.5g fat)
whole-grain bread with light soft cheese
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 04:02 AM by bfhpierce.)
01-05-2012 03:21 AM
Matt Offline
width=
handsome revolutionary

Hi, Brita. Great job going vegetarian.

I'm trying to wake up earlier myself. It can be a struggle though. I have been told that eating close to your bed time makes you require more sleep. I guess if your body will be using energy digesting food and isn't completely resting while you a sleeping. I bring this up because I have a big problem eating before my going to bed. I'm not sure if you have the same issue but I just thought I would mention it here since we have a similar goal.

I can't read your spreadsheet but it looks very well organized and helpful. Great job. I use loseit.com for tracking calories from food and exercise.

Don't beat yourself up for not doing as much as you intended on a few days. That's fin. You seem to be doing a great job so far.
01-05-2012 04:54 AM
6166191 Offline
width=

Hi, Brita! I admire you a lot for your clear steps for everyday!

Sara Shen
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 11:05 AM by 6166191.)
01-05-2012 11:05 AM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

(01-05-2012 04:54 AM)Matt Wrote:  Hi, Brita. Great job going vegetarian.

I'm trying to wake up earlier myself. It can be a struggle though. I have been told that eating close to your bed time makes you require more sleep. I guess if your body will be using energy digesting food and isn't completely resting while you a sleeping. I bring this up because I have a big problem eating before my going to bed. I'm not sure if you have the same issue but I just thought I would mention it here since we have a similar goal.

I can't read your spreadsheet but it looks very well organized and helpful. Great job. I use loseit.com for tracking calories from food and exercise.

Don't beat yourself up for not doing as much as you intended on a few days. That's fin. You seem to be doing a great job so far.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I actually heard the same thing about eating late and sleep requirement. That's why I eat my dinner at 7pm at the latest. Since I go to bed at 10pm sharp, I have at least 3 hours between the latest food intake and sleep. It seems to work fine with me at the moment. Do you eat immediately before going to bed?

(01-05-2012 11:05 AM)6166191 Wrote:  Hi, Brita! I admire you a lot for your clear steps for everyday!

Sara Shen

Thank you very much, Sara.

Day 5

Waking up at 6 is the part of my Action Plan, that works best at the moment. :D I'm very happy about that, because it is a big deal for me.

My back feels much better today, so I think I can put some light workout in todays plan:

- ACE workout light ;)
- stick to vegetarian diet
- drink 1.6 liters of water
- go shopping for todays official task

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 5 Official Task

Since I went shopping yesterday, I only have to purchase a few items today.

- kiwi
- plain yoghurt
- spelt cake

I don't have carrots or kohlrabi at home, but I'm going to substitute them with sugar snaps.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 03:21 PM by bfhpierce.)
01-05-2012 03:01 PM
Matt Offline
width=
handsome revolutionary

I may eat within 2 hours of going to bed sometimes. I think the main problem is that I will wake up in the middle of the night and then go raid the fridge. I need to stop doing this. Especially with fruit. Sometimes I will wake up and eat some pineapple before going right back to bed. I usually wake up with a bit of an upset stomach and I think this has to do with all the sugar and acid coupled with the fact that I am then digesting it while laying down.
01-06-2012 04:44 AM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Maybe it would help if you had some juice or water with lime juice next to your bed. So when you wake up during the night, you can have a sip and don't need to actually eat fruit or something else.

Day 6

Yesterday went very well, the pain in the back was totally gone by the end of the day. The workout was not compromised by the back, so I was able to do the full routine instead of a light version.
I also went shopping for the official task, but unfortunately the shop was out of spelt cake. Have to try again tomorrow and todays meal plan will need some tweaking. ;)
Vegetarien diet is still on track, same with the intake of fruit/vegetable and water. Everything looks really good at this point.

Today I woke up easily and even before the alarm rang.:dance:

Plan for the day:
- do exercises for back and neck
- eat 5 portions of fruit/vegetable
- drink 1.6 liters of water/herbal tea
- follow my ideal meal plan

I wish everyone a great day!
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2012 02:51 PM by bfhpierce.)
01-06-2012 02:33 PM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Day 7

Yesterday didn't went so well, early afternoon I started to feel very tired and worn out. Don't know where that came from, but I also have some problems staying awake this morning. Yawn.
Nonetheless I managed to do my exercises for back and neck, stick to my vegetarian diet and the planned fruit/vegetable intake. The water intake was kind of a struggle yesterday, I hardly managed to drink 1 liter instead of 1.6.

I had to tweak my ideal meal plan yesterday, since it contained pasta which I already had 3 times this week. But other than that it went very smoothly.

Today I don't have very much to do:
- ACE workout
- stick to vegetarian diet
- eat 5 servings of fruit/vegetable
- drink 1.6 liters of water/herbal tea
- review the first week of 21DHL
- plan for week 2
- curl up on the couch and read

Have a nice day!
01-07-2012 02:34 PM
bfhpierce Offline
width=

Review and Plan for Week 2

From all the tasks in week 1, drinking the right amount of water turns out to be the most problematic one. My daily intake is varying very much, I don't know why. Some days it seem easy to drink my amount of 1.6 liters, other days I don't even drink half of it. I need to find a way to solidify this habit.

Creating a calorie list and the calculation of my daily energy expenditure was easy enough. I keep up with noting down my daily calorie and fat intake and have an eye on the percentage of fat intake. I also evaluate my meals at the end of the day and mark good and bad days in the meal plan. So I can easily see an example of a good day, when I need inspiration for cooking and planning meals.

I already had a perfect day meal plan from last years round, but I changed some things since my diet and taste changed within the year. Grocery shopping went very well and I'm going to try a new fruit/vegetable/soy product every week. I also realized that several shopping trips throughout the week works better for me than one trip.

All in all week one went better than expected. I keep up with my workout schedule and get out of bed in the morning realy well! :dance:

I have high hopes for week 2 and the rest of 21DHL 2012. I wish everyone a great second week!
01-08-2012 04:48 AM