Kindness Challenge Day 0: Get at least ONE Friend / Family Member to Join the Challenge!
This is Day 0 of 14-Day Kindness Challenge for Nov 2012 where hundreds of participants from around the world get together in spirit to do 14 acts of kindness over 14 days. The challenge is now over, but you can do the tasks in your own time. Visit the overview page for all Kindness Challenge tasks and posts.
HELLO EVERYONE!!! Welcome to Day 0 of the Kindness Challenge 2012!! I’m Celestine Chua, and I shall be your host and guide in the upcoming 14-Day Kindness Challenge!
14-Day Kindness Challenge—An Explosive Response!!
As of Oct 30, 1:30pm (GMT +8), over
270 310 340 350 370 400 participants have signed up for the challenge and a flurry of media coverage has ensued.
Details of the media coverage to date: The Kindness Challenge is Catching On in the Media!
Thank you to everyone in the media for the great support and coverage! I really appreciate it!
Not related to the challenge, but I just got contacted by Cosmopolitan Singapore for a feature! It’s not a personality feature (i.e. interview on my life and all) but an article feature (interview to share my advice on certain topics), but I’m super psyched all the same!! 😀
Cosmopolitan is an international magazine for women, covering lifestyle, beauty, personal development, relationship, and career advice. The brand connotes a certain level of prestige and exclusivity, so I’m really flattered and excited to be invited to contribute for them! Hopefully this is the start of more great things in the future!
6 Reasons You Should Sign Up for the Kindness Challenge
As if we need reasons to be kind?
- It will be fun. Seriously. 14 simple acts of kindness over 14 days. Done with hundreds of participants from around the world. If this isn’t fun, I don’t know what will be.
- You get to spread joy to people around you. Prepare to be the reason behind the gentle smiles and grins on others’ faces for the next 14 days!
- There is never a “best time” for kindness. Kindness isn’t some grandiose act you put off to the future. Kindness isn’t some virtue you practice only after you are done pursuing your personal goals. Kindness is something you do, right here, right now. And this 14-day Kindness Challenge will get you to do just that.
- You get to be a kinder person. I believe you are at this site (PE, Personal Excellence) because you want to achieve your highest potential. Being kind is an essential part of being a better person. In fact, kindness is #28 on the list of 101 Ways To Be a Better Person!
- Play a part in creating a better world. When you are kind to others, you naturally inspire others to kind. There is no doubt that the world will become a better place as a result of your participation in the challenge.
- Celebrate World Kindness Day. Did you know World Kindness Day is Nov 13? I didn’t even know about it until a reader pointed it out! I had actually created the 14-Day Kindness Challenge for November because I want to rally everyone to pursue a conscious cause before the year ends, and not because I knew World Kindness Day was coming up. How serendipitious is that?
Day 0: Tell at least ONE Friend about the Kindness Challenge
14 acts of kindness. 14 days. It’s going to be one heck-of-a-kind journey ahead!
Before we embark on our 14-days-act-of-kindness journey, I would like to pose a pre-challenge task for all of you.
Your task before the 14-Day Kindness Challenge starts is to tell at least ONE friend (or family member) about the Kindness Challenge, and hopefully, to get him/her to do it together with you.
Why Is It Important to Spread the Word?
Why did I set such a task, you might ask?
- Ability to grow with someone in your life. Firstly, it’s an incredible joy to be able to do a challenge like this with hundreds of people from around the world.
I think it’s an even greater joy to be able to do it with someone in your life, who knows you personally, who shares a common history with you, and who is able to grow and evolve together with you as both of you do this challenge… together.
Isn’t it great if you can do the 14-Day Kindness Challenge with someone whom you know, in your life? Wouldn’t it be fun to wake up every day, log onto PE, see the day’s task, think about how each of you are going do the task, do the task individually, then share your results with each other at the end of the day? I think doing the challenge together will help both of you bond in a way that no other event has bonded you before!
- Amplify your impact to the world. Secondly, by taking part in this challenge, you are undoubtedly increasing the kindness level in this world (if there’s even such a thing). If you are to spread the challenge to one person, just one more person in your life, you will effectively double the impact you can bring to the world, because now there are two of you doing the acts of kindness! That’s the power of working in a team!
For Those of You Who Have Already Spread the Word…
I know a handful of you have already done your dues, spread the word, and are already doing the challenge with others in your life. I read of a participant, Shari Jennings, who roped her husband AND son to do the challenge together—as a family! Another participant, Rita, is a therapist, and is gamely inviting her entire group to do the challenge with her! Then there are participants like Hang, who have invited their friends to do the challenge with them.
Well if that’s the case, that’s fantastic! I thank you for being such a powerful driving force to the people in your life! 😀
At the same time, I would like to challenge you to push your boundary, tell just one more friend or family member about the challenge. Is there one more person you can reach out to? Just one more?
The more people you can touch, the more impactful the challenge is going to be! Remember, you never know if you might be doing someone a favor by telling him/her about this great initiative. It may well be what he/she needs at this moment!
Your Task: Tell at least One New Person about the Kindness Challenge!
- Who is the person? Identify at least one person whom you are spread the word to. This should be someone you have not spoken to about the challenge yet. If you can think of more than one name, that’s even better!
- Spread the word! Approach him/her today and tell him/her about the challenge!
- Tell him/her about this Kindness Challenge that you have just signed up for. Explain what it’s about.
- Pass him/her the link to announcement page (http://personalexcellence.co/blog/kindness-challenge/) so he/she can read the details for him/herself.
- Sell him/her on the merits of the challenge and how it would be such great fun to participate together and share results with each other (because it would really be!).
- Get him/her to sign up and commit to doing the Kindness Challenge with you!
Share Your Results!
Who did you pick to spread the word to? How did he/she respond? Did you manage to get him/her to sign up? If no, is there anyone else you can approach?
After you have shared the challenge with someone (and hopefully successfully convinced him/her to join; if not, pick a new person and try harder!), move on to Day 1: Give a Hug to Everyone You See!